Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Found something REALLY cool!!

Michael Reynolds

Hi All! I've been playing around designing a candy box that has a 3 jaw chuck embedded in the bottom of the box. So, I started to create the lid, and wanted to have a raised micrometer, vernier, or something on it. I was lamenting over how to get a bitmap into mcam (WITHOUT using the "raster to vector" c hook, and came up with a really good way. Here it is:

Find an image that you want to engrave (or whatever), copy it (right click, ya know), and paste it into MS powerpoint. Then SAVE AS a "windows metafile". Then it can be opened up in acad, saved as a dxf. Then you know the rest, "file, converters, dxf".

My world has been forever changed.....

(is this a "Tech Tip"?

Thanks fer listnen'

Mike R.

over here at the model shop we happen to still have adobe streamline(photoshop 4.0)in the computer which will convert files to ,dxf.It's great for scanning in part drawings and then converting them to .dxf so you can open them in mastercam.The only negative is that .dxf files make all geometry lines so the drawings come out a little rough looking and I like to "trace" over the lines with 3 point arcs to smooth every thing out.This is a little bit time consuming but it works pretty well and takes much less time then it would take to start from scratch(espescialy with the part drawings I get sometimes).As far as .bmp files go I would have to open them in photoshop 5(which we also convieniantly happen to have in the computer)save them as .psd file then open them in streamline. smile.gifcool.gif