Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc 32i Incremental

Hey,

I have a Fanuc 32i control on my lathe. I was wondering, since basic principles are based on mill g-coding, how can one move incrementally and absolute in the same move?

Example from the past; make a bevel: X2.5 W-.05

Example from now: X2.5 Z-.8865

Fine, call me lazy (I hate to see what comes next), but why work out the Z dimension when I can just tell it how much to move? But can that be done anymore? I now need G91 to move INC. on this control. Can I do (G90) X2.5 G91 Z-.05 ??

Thanks!

Just a guess but I'd have to say no! It's only a computer not a Magic Machine. JK smile.gif

Wait how about (G90 X2.5 Zchamfer-.050 )

Try it. Lemme know how it goes.

Really though can you do that on a mill?

G91 X2.5 G90 Z.05

Almost positive you'll alarm out with illeagal G-code. Or you'll get 2 moves.

Sry man if you hadn't expected it I wouldn't have done it.

This isn't allowed with the 32i controller?

G90 X2.5 W-.05

I would think that this would still be a valid line.

Running 16i so I really don't know!

If it isn't valid that would blow making it more difficult!?

Only have 32i on a mill here.

Anyone know the differences between the 32i and 16i?

Edit: Aren't the differences mostly to do with positioning and under/overcutting on corning during milling at high speeds?

Edit:Edit: Nope I'm way off! and the mill is 16i

I'll go back in my hole.

It is a slick control, actually. I got the answer. In Fanuc systems there is 3 G code level (A,B,C) and we are on B. B level uses G91 for inc. mode. A level uses U & W for inc. mode. That's basically the only difference. So, my mfg. provided me with the parameter and it works like a hot darn to use U & W now instead of G91 (which on a lathe is kinda silly, if you ask me).

=] Thanks for the input!!!

This is my actual control from our new Gildemeister CTX 410 lathe (with Mill abilities). It is actually really good, but I have found that Fanuc kinda took a step back in some programming aspects for the 32i control.

On my last machine (21T Fanuc Lathe) to send a program, you had to either have it highlighted or be in the program and just hit send. With this control you must type the program name, pust 'p set' and then send. An extra step that is not so much needed, from my view.

As well, if you look at the picture on the bottom left there is a turn dial. That controls the feed over-ride and the rapid over-ride. Yes, it does control both. Yuck. So if you want to turn the rapids down to come in close to a part, you must crank it back up when running, then at the end crank it back down before it moves away (first run safety stuff...you know what I mean I am sure).

All and all good control, but just a little quirky compared to the old stuff.

It also has the Manual Guide i that Hymen gave links to. Basically conversational programming...basically. It's an ok system, but I don't have time for that kind of stuff right now. And the graphics, well, let's just say that they have a little to be desired....but they are better then the little lines moving around a graph screen from 10 years ago! smile.gif

IMG_0034.jpg

Doug, we do have a limiter for 25% maximum, but (I know, mine is not the linear like yours) 25% of 1,200 IPM is still freaking fast, and can be a little wrenching on the nerves.... The button kinda looks like a circle with a line thru it (like a no smoking sign) and a G0 in it (I think).

Kinda annoying, but, I suppose all I can do is get used to it. *sigh*