Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Win XP Problem

I get the following error when trying to install Mastercam v7.2c on a Win XP Pro system while logged in as administrator:

Unable to make new directory. Directory "winstall.tmp"

Has anybody seen this problem? If so how did you remedy it?

Thanks in advance.

Marc,

You may need to download the Win XP HASP drivers from Mastercam website. I do know these drivers work with V8 but am not sure if they work with v7.2c. It may be time to update to the latest version of Mastercam through your reseller. If you update now to V8, you should receive V9 when it is released shortly. There are so many new toolpaths and things that make V8 much nicer and user friendly. Version 9 is expanding on that ease of use and including some even better toolpaths. biggrin.gifsmile.gifcool.gif

We are trying to install 3 versions of Mastercam. V6, V7, and V8. We were able to get V6 on and running. V7 gave us the error listed. V8 went on but would not start. We ran the hinstall per the tech tips. It removed the driver just fine but would not put the new one back. We ran the hdd32 also with the same result. Now no versions work. We are removing all versions and checking out the LPT post to see if it is working properly. This is a brand new clone. I do not know the person who put it together. We will then ensure all device (i.e. Motherboard) drivers have been installed. We will then try to reinstall. I’ll let you know how it turned out. If any body has any suggestions I am all ears.

We have many older files. We would like to look at them and be able to update them. I know we can convert them to mc8 but we lose the tool paths. This way we can look at how we did it many years ago and use that information to recreate the new file. If any body knows a better way, I am all ears.

I only have vers 8.1.1 loaded on my workstation, but I have each version backed up on the network.

When I need to see how I did something in the past, I browse to the network, and find the old version executable, such as Mill7.exe. If you double click it, it will protest a little, but will start Mcam useing that version.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

I know we can convert them to mc8 but we lose the tool paths.

For converting entire directories, go to command prompt, type "ren c:mill6ge3*.ge3 c:mill6ge3*.mc8" then enter. It will convert every file in that directory to an mc8. After that, open up V8, File, Get, (your file). Open up the Operations Manager, right click, Toolpaths, Import NCI, go get the NCI Files related to your current part. Done, Pseudo Associativity for Old Mastercam Files.

I used to run multiple versions until I figured out how to do that.

JM2C

Ok I am going to tell you about the dumb thing I did so you don't do it.

I said I had a problem with XP on my demo box.

Well the reason and I always tell people not to do this is.

DO NOT UPGRADE

When I don’t upgrade it works well.

I went back to the swap drive that I did and works well.

So I will be redoing my Demo box with XP.