Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mcam9 vs. mcamX

stsrvanvliet

I like X a lot now that mr1 has come out. There are some good videos (free of charge) to help you understand the hsm paths. I didn't have any training either but it wasn't that hard to learn. There are some really helpful people on this forum and they'll be glad to help.

quote:

but the shop is not going to provide any training,

Sounds like a "good" company you work for there.

Can you take the HASP home with you at night or on weekends to let you get some unpressurized time to dig through it?

There are some good books available on this forum by clicking the books link at the top of the page.

If you are on maintenance, you should see if your reseller offers a tranisition class, 1 day usually, and sevral offer it free of charge for maintenance customers.

If you are doing 2D programming, the only difference really is the GUI. If you use the menu bars at the top of the screen, rather then the Icons, it is pretty similar. The icons are also shown next to the items on the menus, so you will end up learning them anyways.

http://www.mastercam.com/Support/Multimedia/Default.aspx

These are the videos that beej is talking about.

HTH

I wouldn't feel rushed to switch over to X. Spend some time with it, get it set up, make sure all your posts and setup sheets work, and then switch over when you feel comfortable. Also, if you wait a little bit, Mastercam will have worked some more of the kinks out of X.

I switched over to X the day I recieved it and I was given the chance to start uxing it immediately. I've had to go back to 9 a couple of times to get old programs but I usually copy and paste the geometry and write new toolpaths. Versing 9 just seems so generic when you look at it after running X for a while. I love X

Configuring X is time consuming, but a very good way to learn X is to attack it one task at a time, I spent a couple days modifying my right=click menu to work very similar to the V9 menus and in the process I found out how many things are simplified, or are just attached to the ribbon bar when active etc.

Use the help folder, once you think you are ready to machine something, start simple, holes or contour etc. The Machine definition, operation defaults, control definition, tool library will all effect how your code posts and it will take time to get the results you want( and if you forget to save you will have to change them again ).

I'm making parts on X exclusively after about 15 days of forcing myself to make it work. I find something new every day and I'm happy to know I'm not lagging too far behind the software.

To answer your first question.

I still think version 9 is better, but I'm giving X a shot and hope it works out in the long run.9 is faster for me now. the X transition will be over time. there are some things in X that i like, i think im just more comfortable with 9 smile.gif

change is hard sometimes smile.gif