Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Ruled Toolpath not obeying WCS

Mjölnir

MCX-MR2

I did a search on this and found a thread dated Sept 2005 and apparently it hasn't been addressed yet. I believe it is a bug.

link

I wrote a ruled toolpath and the rapid height I entered in the parameters is being calculated from the system origin, not my WCS. The toolpath is fine, the moves to and from the clearance plane is not. Since the system origin is "below" my WCS, I'm glad I was paying attention else I would have buried the spindle in my work piece. eek.gif

Surface toolpaths, 2d contouring and 2d swept toolpaths on the same part are all fine. Anybody else see this? Or am I missing something?

Bob,

The only luck I had was using a Swept 2D toolpath, which gives you the exact same output as a ruled would, in this case. The rapid height works fine at .25. This seems to be a problem only with ruled toolpaths. Your link references a ruled toolpath as well.

Otherwise, I had to use 2.25 rapid height (just like you) to get the ruled toolpath to work.

BTW, will you EDM the gear looking area? Cool part!

Thad

Hi Bob, I remember starting that topic to your link,

you are correct about it being related to the main default origin, if you move ( xform, rotate translate ) your PART to the default position ie, dont use the WCS, ruled toolpath works ok. There is definitly something wrong here, and could cause a lot of damage.

I agree there are several ways to work around this bug, but after many years of bashing software developers on various BBS's and USENET, I've had a change of heart and am trying to be cooperative for once. For the time being anyway. biggrin.gif

After exchanging a few emails with Pete Rimkus at CNC Software on other MC issues, I've come to find they appreciate any effort to help them squish bugs, and in a way it's kind of rewarding.

Thanks for the suggestions.