Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Worksation vs desktop pc

Jim Helberg

Build yur own if you know anything about building them.

At the very least you'll need a good processor and video card.

Do a search theres a plethora of info on these topics.

I personally will not buy a workstation. Over priced and propritary parts are used on most. Meaning upgrading these in the future can be a big hassel. Although I think it's changing slightly.

I Go Dell all the way. Great hardware, great service, good price. Get the extended warranty, its priceless. I had a hard drive die after two years and after about 30 min. on the phone with a tech guy they shipped me a new hard drive UPS Red. I got it the next day. I called Dell tech support back and the guy walked me through the entire backup process. I went from sweating bullets to sitting pretty....

Just my 2 cents

-Colin

Workstation or desktop...?

It depends on the work you're doing.

A decent desktop with an NVIDIA GeForce gaming

card will be fine if you're doing small 2 1/2 axis

mill parts and lathe work.

I building landing gear parts at my current job

on a midrange AMD destop with a Quadro FX-1400

video card. Its working out very well, much to my surprise.

Mold guys will want all the proccessing power they can afford. That usually means a workstation, though some folks are getting good results with high end AMD gaming machines.

The bigger your solid models the more video card you'll need. I don't mean big in filesize, I mean the phyisical size of your parts.

Last year I did a part that was 15ft by 6ft by 1 ft thick with 120+ 5axis pockets. That part really gave my Dell workstation a beating. It got so bad I had to break the file into 3 sections. (Ruffing, semifinish and finish)

If you work on large parts, a midrange Quadro card

(FX3000 and up) is well worth the money.

If you've got a decent gaming machine at home, take some of your toughest files home and try them out.

Time is money. The boss may gag at spending $3K+

on a computer, but if your parts warrant it, its money well spent.

Chowquoe,

What would you want to upgrade? Anything worth upgrading (RAM, Video Card) is easy to put in on a Dell. Anything else (motherboard, CPU) and you are much better off buying a new computer. You shouldn't have to spend more than a $1000.00 for a kick butt computer these days. Then in a two years you can buy a new computer that is twice as fast and costs half as much. I recommend that businesses stay with technology that is current in the market place. I'm sure you may disagree, but Dell's are virtually painless and that was my original point.

-Colin

-Colin