Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

home computer for games & cam

kkominiarek

Does such a beast exist?

Unfortunately money is an object!.....but I would like to get a computer for home that will handle games for the kids and cad/cam for myself.

My biggest concern(correct me if I am wrong)is the video/graphics part of the pc. What card? how much video memory? What chipset? etc...etc...

What o/s will work best?

All recommendations will be appreciated.

What kind of games are we talking about? If we are talking about games that make extensive use of 3D rendering, then you would probably want a highly DirectX-compatible video card. In that case, I would look at the high-end cards based on the nVidia GeForce2 (minus the MX cards), GeForce3 and the upcoming GeForce4 (if you win the lottery any time soon). GeForce cards are great for high-end home and gaming systems, and they perform well with Mastercam as well. Other than that, load up with as much RAM as you can. Get a decent CPU (read no Celerons) like a high-end P3, Athlon or even a P4. Hard drives are cheaper than they've ever been so get a decent 7200 RPM IDE drive (SCSI isn't necessary). In terms of an OS, I'd suggest dual-booting Windows 98SE (avoid ME like the plague) for the games and your favourite business OS like Windows 2000 Pro or XP Pro for CAM. Finally, since it'll be a gaminig machine too, look at Creative Labs Live! and Audigy lines of soundcards. Hope this helps smile.gif

If they are graphics intensive games that require 3D acceleration , the latest crop require at the very least 16meg memory, but go for at least 32 meg and a geforce 2 chip, these are fairly cheap now (probly 50-60 US $) and more than adequate unless your a real games freak tongue.gif

I have a duron 800 at home and it seems fine for most things, including cam, and nice and cheap smile.gif

Dual-booting really isn't that bad. In the case of dual-booting Windows 98SE and Windows NT/2000/XP, it is much easier to install 98 first on it's own FAT32 partition. Then give Windows NT/2000/XP it's own partition. Keep in mind, 98 cannot read NTFS paritions. It's really not so bad wink.gif

Couldn't have said it better. Install win2k last and it automatically configures for dual boot if you give it it's own partition. If NTFS scares you or if you must read the 2000 files from 98, win2k does just fine in fat32. I personally like NTFS for reasons that could be better explained by Bullines (where ya been, dude?) biggrin.gif

I would say that my old bud Bullines described it preaty good for that thought.

Now i would check but i know that Win2k can support alot of the newer games.

But the worst you can do would be run win98se.

But buy makeing it Dual you dont have to worry about the kidds messing with your system.

Hope we are helping?

quote:

But buy makeing it Dual you dont have to worry about the kidds messing with your system.

That is unless you created your NTFS partition with partition magic installed in win98 and forgot to delete the shortcut. A long shot but I did catch my 4 year old son in partition magic! He was just seeing what it did when he clicked on it........................

Well Jamman,

I dont install Partion Magic i use it from a disk.

But i know how kids just cant help but play.

That is why i had to make another computer over the holidays for my son so my wife could have hers to her self.

I Just setup a KVM eletronic switch to share Monitor,Mouse & key board. smile.gif

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: cadcam ]

quote:

Keep in mind, 98 cannot read NTFS paritions

Just because I keep seeing this put out...There is a GREAT piece of software that allows win98 to read NTFS partitions. Go here and read up. You can download it for free to do read-only, or you can purchase the read-write for $49.

BTW thay also have NTFS for DOS and FAT32 for winNT4.

cool.gif STUFF!

From the above mentioned article-

quote:

, NTFS for Windows 98 does not enforce the Windows NT/2000 security model. All files and directories are accessible, regardless of their security permissions settings.

Wow. Sounds dangerous. In 98 of a dual boot Joe Schmo can read my files protected by administrative rights in win2k? I agree with the coolness (I have hacker in my blood) but Isn't anything safe any more? confused.gifconfused.gif