Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2D profile

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I didn't catch that. Yes you would need a chain. You could do the faces also but if there's an issue there then I would use edge curves and trim them together.

I tried the silhoutte boundary on a couple of our part and the result was not as clean as I would have liked. But that was becasue of the shape of our part, not the chook I believe.

On this part if you do have the geometry that the solid was created with, I would create edge curves and offset the step ones to get them at the correct depth.

I suppose the answer to your original question is no, there is not "quick and simple" method to cut this.

You want to cut a profile but with no defined profile, so you have to create one.

And I see the silhoutte boundary does not work well on this part either.

i tried your part as well with just solid edges and got individual toolpaths with only one chain...then i put one edge curve on each surface to make a profile chain and picked the chain and got this...

option.jpg

its on the ftp site called option.mcX if you want to see what i have done

I know I'm comming into this a little late, I've taken a look at the part. With this particular part I would trim the solid to a Z plane that gives you a good cross section of the part and then create edge curves on the trimmed face. This approach works as long as there is no draft and the plane that you trim to encompasses the extremities of the geometert that is to create the chain. One of many ways. cool.gif

Sorry for coming in late on this as well. i really like using create>curve>prject. i dont have to alter my solid at all and can use surfaces as well.

draw a line longer than the width of the part in x with a z depth away from it (doesnt matter how far. your y dimension should place the line across the area u want to wrap. this needs to be in a plane perpendicular to the plane u want your 2d contour.

i.e.:if u want the contour to be seen from the top plane, draw your line in the front or side.

then use create>curve>project to create your profile. make sure u r in the same construction plane as the line u drew.

oh, tighten up the tolerance and chord height.

hope this helps. smile.gif

Matt

cascadeclimbr, Bulletman, and 88matt,

As an alternative to the Solid Trim or Project curve is Create-Curve-Slice. This will approximate a trim function with the solid without actually performing a trim and give you the "edge curves" from a selected intersecting plane. You can also create multiple slices to give you many profiles if the first slice is incomplete. It's also faster than the Project curve in that you don't have to create additional lines before starting the Curve-Slice function. Check it out. Planes for slices can be defined from existing Cplanes, lines or other flat entities. HTH cheers.gif

Hi Guys,

Here is another really good work around to this issue.

This solution works on any solid or surface model. Create a Surface Finish contour toolpath. Select the solid body (or all surfaces). Set your maximum step down to a value that is larger than the extents of your model in Z ( I use 20"). Go into the cut depths dialog box and set the radio button to Absolute. Set the Minimum Depth and the Maximum depth to the lowest point in Z on your part ( I like to right-click and select the depth from the bottom of the part). In your Toolpath Parameters page, create a .001 diameter endmill. When your Surface Finish Contour toolpath generates it will follow the exact contour of the solid or surface model ( I know its .0005 big). Now backplot the surface finish contour toolpath and save the toolpath as geometry.

This solution works really well because you do not have to take multiple slices of the part and trim those slices back together. There is no projection involved either. This work around will give you the true 2D profile of any model.

Just another way....

-Colin