Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Having probs creating a helix

ShiftZ

I'm having some difficulties creating a helix pattern on a diameter. I use "create rectangular shapes", locate my datum and establish my length and height. After that I add rads to the left end from the datum and delete the entity at the reference point(meaning the vertical line that joins the box). From that point I change my view to isometric and locate the pocket toolpath feature. From there I chain a toolpath, making sure that I have selected the "open" for pocket shape. No problems. I then switch on the grid feature making sure that it matches my diameter and is brightly attired. From that point I insert a circle center point to match the diameter. Now I'm lost. I do realize that I need to extend a line from the center of the circle matching the circumfrence and draw a line back to the "oal" but before I do that I need to "XForm Roll" and it's here that I encounter all of my pain. Help out a newbie boyz, Salute!

Not only that but the surface is relived, that is to say that there are two diameters that will be in place after machining. This isn't a hack job. The helix approaches to one point from 180 degrees by two arcs over 360 degrees, simple for mastercam guys. I did it with a calculator two years ago but have since decided that 4 hours of manual programming can be done in 30 seconds of understanding how cad works. I need help, not snide comments.

Need to be a little less sensitve as well. WE have no clue who you are what your back ground is and if someone is asking a question it is not a snide remark. I have done tons of helix stuff anf been doing Machining for about 20 years and I am also scratching my head wondering what yopu are trying to do here. The old saying a pciture is worth a 1000 word really applies here.

BTW welcome to the Forum.

Also do you know anything about C-planes and switching between them for making geometry?