Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4 Axis Machining

Mick

Does anyone here have experience with 4 Axis machining in Mastercam. We have a Nikken rotary axis for our Okuma MX55VB, and I'd really like to use it smile.gif

Does anyone have any examples, especially simultaneous axis examples, as Mastercam have very little information about it. I tried using the axis substitution command, but no matter what value I put in for the rotary axis diameter, the toolpath was always incorrect, and out of position radially.

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Here's a good place to start(after you've exhausted your Mastercam Reseller). Get this book. Follow the examples, try different things.

4/5 Axis Reference Material

For me personally, here's how I don things in a nutshell without writing a novel in here. Draw the part as is sits/will sit in the machine. If my machine set up with an "A" axis (meaning axis of rotation is about X Axis) Y origin would be the CL of Rotation and my Z origin would be set from the CL of rotation like a lathe part and X axis would be the face of the part. Do it that way and your angles should be correct (they always have been for me anyways). There's more to it than that but that shoudl get you started in the right direction. "How Do I Do 4 Axis Toolpaths" really should be dealt with by your dealer so that they can take into account your particular application.

JM2C

What kind of forth axis are we talking about were you lock out an axis or full 4th all at one time.

being one diffrence of being able to lay out a flat 2d pattern and program it to forth lock out say "Y" .

Or doing say 5 Axis swarf locked out to a 4th axis program,and the geoometry being true 3D.

The last one being rotary 4ax.

I have done all three..

Should i put some thing on the FTP?

What is you are looking for.

May be you can share what you have and some of us can help you with what is happening with it.

Thanks J

cadcam:

All three. hehe....Well, we have several types of work we want to accomplish, and I'd also personally like to spend more time with the 4th axis, because its something I've never mastered.

Any examples you have would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Mick

I used 4ax as much as possible - and scaled the original down to 6 inches to use some drop-offs that were in the scrap pile. Mostly rough contoured the majority of the waste stock away. Finally settled on Rotary4ax - Axial Cut for the finish pass. Rotary4ax - Rotary Cut produced the tail-removal moves when finishing the underneath sides of the fins.