Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

total tolerance / filter ratio

I just cut two similar patterns and with help from this forum learned 2:1 ratio with .0005 total tolerance gives a better finish than 3:1 and .001 total.

This was using Surface Finish Contour. One-way filtering seems to help finish, although I can't see much difference in the toolpath when actually cutting. I've tried arcs in all planes, no planes and now sticking with arcs in just the XY plane. Seems to help prevent "stutter-steps" with our router, but I've also made a lot of changes at once, so I don't know which one setting helped the most.

Also discovered the spiral limit setting in Finish Contour. This prevents a mark where the stepdowns occur. It is explained pretty well in the help menu and in at least one thread here.

My two cents. HTH

• 2 weeks later...

My take on what the filters do. The 'Cut tolerance' is how close MasterCam follows the surface when it generates the path. This value greatly affects processing time, i.e. the smaller the number, the harder MC has to work at it. The 'Filter tolerence' is applied to the paths that MC generates and atempts to turn lots of point-to-point code into arcs and long straights. This value greatly affects the length of your NC file. Both numbers affect the accuracy of your finished surface to different degrees, how much each affects the final product has a lot to with the shape of your surface. I usually drive finish paths with .0002" cut tolerance at 3:1 ratio for a total tolerance of .0008". This is usually adequate. Roughing paths I use .001 + .003 for .004 total. HTH