Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Looking for informed opinions

Kyle Waters

SAIPEM

1) Mazak outsells ALL machine tool manufacturers, not just Okuma

2) I believe that Okuma-Howa is now a subsidiary of Okuma Japan

Kyle

I agree that Okuma's "closed-door" macro philosophy sucks; especially when it comes to probing. There are ways around it but they are cumbersome and labor-intensive.

That being said, the machines are great and I am an unashamed Okuma guy.

C

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SAIPEM

quote:

1) Mazak outsells ALL machine tool manufacturers, not just Okuma

2) I believe that Okuma-Howa is now a subsidiary of Okuma Japan

1) That was exactly my original point

2) That change just happened on July 1st of this year.

Prior to that, they were completely separate entities.

So, has anybody used a Multus? I just got back from our "demo". I am a little bothered that when you are using the Y axis the machine is programmed like a mill, however if cancel this mode, back to lathe? It seems that this could be quite confusing for an operator. I was again impressed with the layout of the control(P200). Setting and adjusting tools seemed to be quite involved compared to our MT2000, but part of that may be due to the experience level and familiarity of the machine to the applications tech. My boss grilled me for 5 hours on our way back about my "opinion" of the machine, after the whopping few hours I spent with it. I do seriously wonder about the ability to write to system variables simply because we had a 40K file to turn a few diameters, mill a keyway, and drill and tap some holes. In addition to the fact that operators here have a habit of "removing" program pieces that they do not like(understand). A lot of the code I am sure was graphics related, but the new "collision avoidance system" seemed fairly impressive. I really am hoping to hear some things from the MAC-TURN and Multus users out there......good or bad just need info

you are correct much of the data is graphics.

did they program it with IGF or from a cam package?

dont be affraid of the variables on a okuma they are much easier then they seem

like fanuc spindle tool lets say is #5021

on an okuma it is vatol

stands for actual tool on a mill but the lathes are similar

the first macros I ever started righting were on okumas and they are pretty easy.

one program on our lathes could run 170 diffrent dash numbers depending on how you filled in your local variables

and another great feature is setting your g and m code feature with library files simple to use

Rick, I would love to see some more info on your macros, I've only really made a handfull, all on the mills. Like I said before, I don't have anything against Okumas, I am just ALOT more familiar with Fanuc. I am definitely very interested in learning more about OSP macros.

why would you say the restart is a pain in the butt I think the restart is the easiest and if you are stitching a huge mold and the power goes out how can you restart from where you left off on a fanuc?

how about on an okuma?

restart * will restart right where it was

restart * -2 2lines back fron where it left off

there are many features to use

quote:

I hate the restarting pain in the butt

Yeah, going from Auto to Edit, forward search, back to Auto, single-block through a couple of lines here, back to Edit, cursor down down down down, back to Auto again....that's MUCH better...

As far as operators who 'like to remove sections of programs' I have and easy solution for that: 'Go tell your wife you got fired because you are an a$$hole'

Typically the 2nd guy will leave the program alone

C

Nakamura has some great machines for Multitasking as well. The ATC is very nice, with a rack style expandable system, so as you get more jobs, you add more tools. It also has a double door, so when the ATC is changing tools, chips to not get into the back of the ATC. Nice system.

worlds worst controller is probably a xxxxor. I've ran a bunch of different controllers, and most of them are good, some are better. But xxxxor was by far the crappiest. makes me embarrassed to be part portugese.

fanucs, mitsubishi, ect... they all have their good and bad points. It seems to me that's more of what your used to.

The thing that I really like about the Okuma controls is the Mid-Auto manual feature,VERY helpful and a huge timesaver for when you want to do in-provess inspection before the tool makes another cut.

SOmeone mentioned in an earlier post that their lathe gcode is horrible,I don't care for that either,but once you get used to it,it's easier to program and more user friendly.

Restarting is way better than Fanuc IMHO,but if you have a large program it can be a pain.

And the DNC-DT is excellent.

128mb hard drive and 500k memory on the control is sweet.

I haven't ran any newer Fanucs so I don't know if they have the capability to network to a PC and "grab" files without the need for RS232.

quote:

As far as operators who 'like to remove sections of programs' I have and easy solution for that: 'Go tell your wife you got fired because you are an a$$hole'

Gotta wonder where your at with this. I have a constant problem with this very thing. I know I am personally an a$$hole but thats beside the point. Just run the program, it aint for readin!

headscratch.gif

cheers.gif

Guest SAIPEM

Biesse owns the title to worst CNC control on the planet - the XNC.

NOTHING about their control makes any sense.

Biesse took perfectly good G-Code and made it UNUSEABLE.

Thank GOD they really only deal with woodworking.