Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machining surfaces

Rob B

I have a part that I would like some feedback on how some of you big dog would go about programing this part. I have tried several different ways of programing the part. I had problems with each way that I tried to program. Each time the problem was different. The file is on the ftp page under rob.zip The color 11 is the surfaces that I am tring to cut.

I first tried surface contour. The first problem was the min. step over I could do is .025 . Anything less than that I got an alarm; something to do with calulating z depth. When I move to a step over of .025 Had no problem with MC posting program. When I ran program like this it didn't clean part up at the top of part(at the split at top of screen). This is were the parallel protoin of the program comes in.

I am just beginning to work with 3d surfaces and have a problem trying to decide which format that I need to use. I thought some of you could help me. I am using MILL 72. If you can help please save your verison in 72 format so I can see what you have done. You can send your verison to my e-mail: [email protected]

Thank you

Rob confused.gif

Rob,

I tend to agree with Matt on this one. Jay's toolpath is OK but the scallop is conventional milling the area and to reverse it in MC72 is to Redo the whole thing. The Flowline works well except if you select the middle, largest surface, it follows the angle of the wireframe lines. Also the normals for all the flat surfaces need to be directed upwards for a consistent offset. In V8 these issues were addressed plus you have the added benefit of Regenerating surface toolpaths. If there's something you don't like, change a parameter and regen the toolpath. With all the OT you've been putting in, it may be time to consider updating to V8. There are other improvements to surface toolpaths which are specifically set up as patches for V8.1.1. These patches allow for added control on surface toolpaths. Additionally, V8 surface contours have a switch called "Shallow", which allows the user to add or remove cuts in shallow areas of the surfaces to provide a better surface finish. biggrin.gif