Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

FMMT MultiMedia Training

NYMike

Has anyone out there used the FMMT FASTech training on CD-ROM for learning to use Mastercam.

Any advice about best training methods would be appriciated. I have mastercam mill level 1 and I took the the Mill 2 1/2 axis training classes offered by my Mastercam reseller.I own and operate a small machine shop and would like to move into 3D work. The classes are expensive and require me to be away from my shop for 4 days for 3d training classes. I would like to learn as much as possible on my own. Any ideas???

Thanks, Mike : confused.gif

I know the classes are expensive but they might be worth it.Obviously you can't learn everything about Mcam in 3 or 4 days(I've been using it for three and a half years and am still just discovering stuff that I never knew was there) but it really does give you a good base to work with.I took a 3 day course for 2d and a 3 day course for 3d.The 2d course was very simple and seemed worthless but I did learn a number of shortcuts and quicker ways to draw geometry.The 3d was also pretty simple (or seemed it because of the teacher being there to answer your simple questions.When I first used Mcam a friend and I racked our brains for hours trying to figure out how to make a simple cube to no avail).I think whether(sp?)you take the classes or not, you are still going to spend a lot of time teaching yourself how to draw in 3d and create surfaces, but I would recomend taking at least the 3d course to get yourself off to a quicker start and maybe learn a couple things from an expierianced user that you might not have thought of yourself

then again you could just come here and ask questions and get your answers for free rolleyes.gif (this site is really a wonderful thing isn't it? smile.gifcool.gif

I've also gone through a couple of Mastrecam "training" books and didn't find them to be the greatest of "trainers".There always seems to be questions that never get answered because you are just told exactly what buttons to click and what boxes to check and sometimes no reason why(BECAUSE I TOLD YOU TO THATS WHY!)

Thanks everyone for your input. I learned alot from my 5 day course and I will probobly continue with the 4 day 3d course. I also know as Zero points out that Mastercam will always teach you something new as you apply it to the jobs you are working on over the years. The classes are a great base to build on, but as any good machinist knows,experience over time is the best teacher. I am also happy to know I have this forum and all of you out there to help with the learning process. Thanks Again. smile.gif

NYMIKE,

quote:

I am also happy to know I have this forum and all of you out there to help with the learning process.

I have found this forum for most a great source for learning.

Still Seat time is the best factor.

But, I to have come to count on this forum.

I learn from all of your files.

That is why I always ask for them, the shape keeps changing and I learn from that.

So don't hesitate to down load a file and look at it.