Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

30 sec file open from mcam x on laptop

Doug

Windows XP

AMD Athlon Chip 64 Processor 3000+

350 MHz, 512 MB ram

NVIDIA Geforce 4 420 GO 32M

toolpath and geometry creation work great once file is loaded.

30 sec from file open untill dialog box opens

selecting files in dialog box is fine.

Thanks

Have you run a defrag program on that hard drive recently?

It sounds like that file could be fragmented all over the hard drive and it's just taking forever to find it all.

What size hard drive and how much available space on it?

The 512k ram could be hurting you depending on the size and complexity of the model. The reason it woud function well after it was loaded is becaause then you have it loaded in memory while working between the memory and the paging file. Where as when your loading the file it has to not only load it into the memory it has to begin writing it to the oage fiule at the same time.

Beyond that, I'm not sure.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

So you're clicking on a Mastercam file and opening that way?

Personally I've never been a fan of that method because it is slower. I prefer to open Mastercam then open the file I want.

JM2C

quote:

where is this option in X mr2?

There are a group of five buttons in the top right corner of the File Open window. The middle one is the Preview button.

If you are using the normal Mastercam window (with the preview option) you could compare the opening time of that one against the normal "Windows" style dialog. If only the Mastercam window takes a long time to open I think you need to speak to your resellers tech support or contact CNC.

To switch to the standard Windows Open box, go to Windows Control Panel and then to Mastercam X. You can change the dialog box style at the top of the control panel window.

You could also check the hardware acceleration for your graphics card - it should be on max unless there is some other problem on the laptop (right click on Windows Desktop, then Properties, Settings, Advanced, Troubleshoot)

• 1 year later...

Guys:

it is like our old version of "cnc reg"... standard windows -vs- mastercam... I have seen this also... If it is set to Mastercam ... there is a huge delay...by setting it to "standard windows"... it opens rather quickly...

In Mastercam "X" the 'cnc reg" is part of the control panel in Windows...

I also recently had one that the customer wanted the "mastercam" (bitmap) but it was slow to open... I went to the hardware accelerator and changed it to "one click" above none.. it worked... Hmm dumb luck I guess... but it worked

Hope I can help