Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Auto Cursor

I just got a new laptop that I am using with a wireless mouse. The auto cursor works fine when I analyze solids, but the square box won't appear when I analyze the endpoint or mid point of a line. It just highlights the entire line. Is there a setting I need to change or could this be a problem caused by the wireless mouse or possibly a video card problem. Hopefully I don't need to trade in this computer.

Toshiba Satellite A105-S4084

1024 Megs of Ram

Intel core duo processor T2050 1.6 GIG

Intel graphics Media accelerator 950

Video Memory 8MB to 128MB Dynamically shared

quote:

Intel graphics Media accelerator 950

The video card would be my first guess. You can try turning down the video acceleration.

That may fix the probelm, but video performance

will be very poor.

IMO, this laptop is not a good choice for running

any Cad/Cam application. I don't think you will be able to do anything but very basic stuff on it.

The rest of your laptop looks OK to me.

The videocard is a big issue with Mastercam.

Most MC people run NVIDIA based video cards.

The Quadro Cad/Cam video card is first choice, but you won't find those at Best Buy.

NVIDIA gaming cards work well too.

X is supposed to run on ATI cards now, but I have no exerieince with ATI so I won't comment.

If you are going to run V9 stay away from ATI as you will have problems. There is a workaround patch on the FTP site, but if you're buying new

you may as well buy right and avoid the workarounds.

Do a search of the forum for "HP Laptops"

Some people use them and are very happy with them

[ 08-20-2006, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: gcode ]

Thanks for the info. I am looking at an HP but not from Circuit City. I took the Toshiba back for "almost" a full Refund. Now I am looking at an HP Pavillion dv8330us with the following:

-Intel Centrino Duo Mobile Technology

-Intel Core Duo Processor T2250 (1.7GHz)

-533MHz Fronside Bus

-1GB Ram Upgradeable to 2GB

-Dual 100GB hardrives

-NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 video card(256MB)

-window XP Media Center Edition

I am going to get it at MicroCenter and if possible I am going to have them change the graphics card to an NVIDIA Quadro 7600. If any of you experts have anything else to say on this matter please let me know before I go buy it. I will check back before I go to MicroCenter.

Thanks.