Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Operations import problem

gms1

I've had this problem for so long I figure now that I have some time I will try and correct it.

When I am programming a part I usually end up with 50~100 operations. Some use the same tool, some don't and sometimes due to process change I delete a tool from the list because it isnt being used anymore. The programs I make usually have an opposite. So I use mirror toolpaths as well.

When I save my operations to an .op9 file, I export the geometry with the toolpaths and compress the library. Now comes the problem. When I try to import the toolpaths into my next part in the family my tool data gets lost on some tools. The toolpath and geometry (sometimes I dont import the geometry) import fine but on *some* tools they just dont import. Sometimes the operation that is imported will have a completely different tool in the tool list or the tool doesn't exist and was never imported with the toolpath and geometry. I've also tried to import toolpaths/geo/tools from an .mc9 file directly and the same problem pops up. The difference with importing operations directly from an .mc9 file is not only does it screw up my imported file it ALSO screws up the file I imported the data from mad.gif

I've tried everything I could possibly think of. I have exported each operation seperately and compressed the library for each operation. I have reinstalled mcam 9 I have tried all the disable/enable tool checking options and nothing seems to work and I am at a loss. The killer part is it doesn't do this on all the operations I import. Sooo anyone have a suggestion to try and fix this?

This is for the lastest version of Mastercam 9

I could never get Mcam9 to import the geometry with the toolpath, but it would import the tools and ops. Sometimes the tools would mix, i.e. if I had a rougher and finisher the same size it would use the roughing tool in the finish operations. I still get that with X.

When I machine an opposite part I finish the right hand part, save the file, save as the part opposite to get a duplicate, and mirror all geometry on the axis that works best for the application. After that I reverse the countour toolpath chains so they climb cut. The pockets and holes automatically go the right direction.

I gave up on importing anything from other MC9 files. I got it to work once(that may have been with 9.0 SP1) when I imported everything at the same time, but it was very small...20 toolpaths maybe.

Otherwise as you said...it corrupts the file that it is importing from, the tool #'s, etc.

I would and do... save the file as a new part, bring the new model in and overlay it then change what you need to. It works 100 times better...plus, you can label your levels consistently without renaming them.

+1 on opposites John.

quote:

My next question was gonna be how well does X handle operation importing. Looks like it hasn't changed.

X handles the imports very well. The problems I mentioned above were only in V9.

With X I can import geo with ops and it works perfectly.