Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MCX Surface High Speed Machining?

ChrisD

Good Morning,

I was wondering if anyone out there has been using this feature constantly in MCX. I haven't tried it with the HAAS yet. I'm just wondering if I don't have any high speed machining centers

(other than our Haas), is there any point to using it? Am I better off just using the regular surface rough pocket and so on.

Any feedback appreciated.

Chris DiNardo

L-D Tool and Die

Mcam V10 MR2

I use it all the time and will not go back. If you are not using a true HSM machine make sure and uncheck some of the ambigous smoothing motions and just go for straight retract. The machining schemes for material removal are great and I get much better tool life on our Makino.

I like the hsm paths because they don't bury the cutter. they give you consistent stepovers, always climbmill and swing a radius in the corners rather than slamming into them. Our inserts last longer and the machines tend to run unnatended more often.

hth

cheers.gif

I seem to remember at the last Mcam users seminar, one of the guys that was showing this feature was saying that if you have a Haas or one of the older style fanuc zero controls that don't exactly rapid from point A to point B in a straight line always keep it on Full Vertical Retract or Minimum Vertical Retract. NEVER on Minimum Distance.

Am I remembering correctly?

That would be correct Chris.

The "dogleg" motion of multiple axis(XYZ) rapid moves on those machines could potentially cause a crash. A full retract prior to moving x or y above the entire part would solve the problem.

In the newer controls there are parameters you can set in the machine to tell it to linearize the rapid movement. It isn't just old fanucs that have this possibility, it is how the machine parameters are set.