Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

FADAL 4525 vs VF-5

Davidgil

Happy Monday to everyone.

My company is looking at purchasing a new VMC which will give us a larger Y axis travel than we currently get with our 4020 size machine. We are looking at either the FADAL 4525, or the Haas VF-5. I know there have been some comments concerning the FADAL 4020 before, but I am most interested in hearing any comments/advice concering the FADAL 4525 with is part of FADAL's newer performance line.

I'll continue using Mastercam to program the new machine, so any comments concerning the programming side of these machines would also be appreciated.

Thanks much,

David Gilliat

I think it depends on your application of the machine,As far as heavier cutting is concerned

i would take the fadal,lighter cutting,but all around a quicker machine is haas,I prefer the

fadal,I ran both types of machines in the same shop.I feel the fadal is a more rigid machine.But this is just my opinion,The battle between these 2 machines will never end.

Dave,

If you are looking into buying a Haas I'd be asking the salesman what size the t-slots are I ran a VF-10 I believe and it had 1/2 slots just like a brdigeport can get scary when ya are roughin with the part movin ended up having to install many extra tapped holes to use for mounting to try and secure it better other than that its a pretty good machine but Okuma is still my favourite.

Dave,

This is a real tough one! I worked on a 4525 with a vertical carosel as well as the 4020 as you have. For years we hardly ever saw a Fadal service man while I became great lunch buddies with the Bridgeport and Hurco fellas. I don't know for sure but it seems that Fadal may have slipped a little bit in quality over the years. It seems that at 60-IPM the 4525 bangs a little bit without decel on the G1 while the 4020 absorbs it like a sponge. I still love the Fadal. It has some really useful tool and fixture setting macros and a great HSM function. But I think you get the most bang for your buck with the Haas. Haas I think, is the easiest machine to operate and edit programs. I feel the Haas is sturdier too, IMO. Have I helped you or confused you more? It's really a toss up, as either machine is a great value compared to anything else on the market in that price range. Best bet -- flip a coin!

Phil Orenstein