Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T how to get started?

dan m

offtopic.gif A former co-worker and I have been talking about starting our own shop. We want to specialize in turning work. Getting the equipment or the floor space shouldn't be an issue the big question is where to get the work? I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas. We are not sure yet if we really want to make a go of it or not with the current economic state here in Michigan but It’s not even worth considering if we can't figure out how to get some work. Thanks for any input in advance.

1. move to NC

2. buy mastercam from local dealer

seriously, if I wanted to start a turning shop I would start by looking on the interenet for companies selling small turned parts and alot of them. be looking at machines that have barfeeders and stock magazines. If you can get an order for large quantities proceed. To get started you might find a local shop that can cut the parts for you. They will get part of the profitt, but you are not finacially exposed to badly. Also check with material supply companies to see what kind of terms you can get with them. (starting out it will prolly be "cash and carry")

I have seen some small lathes with a "slide" instead of a turrent crank out parts at an awesome rate. There is more money in custom parts/protoypes, but the steady money is in production work starting out.

A friend of mine that owns laundry mats sayz " I get em a quarter at a time".

King what shop? they need mc? smile.gif

Both Carolina's are booming right now. we went through somewhat of a slow down a few years back, but things have definatly picked up.

If you look online payscales maybe a bit lower, but so is the cost of livin. Here is the real estate web for my county:

http://www.homesmagazineonline.com/homesma...nline/index.asp

you can go to the library and look at manufacters directories for different states(instead of buying cd rom $$$) . Then pick people whose products seem like they would use more round parts. (contact machining buyers for those companies and some say you should send a letter of introduction first) A steel salesman told me once it takes an average of 6 contacts with a company to get a chance...don't waste a lot of time on people that are bad customers hopeing to turn them around and be very careful that people CAN PAY YOU...Dunn and Bradstreet have some rating services and make them fill out a credit application if in doubt.(who will give you credit without doing that?)