Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

EXPERIENCED PROGRAMMERS

mod2925

Welcome to the Forum

cheers.gif

MasterCam offers a place on their website for employment. Posting this thread here as well will allow a good deal of people to see it as well.

Monster.com is another website.

People are looking, are you just not getting people at all or are your offers not drawing them in?

Matt,

We put an ad in the Tribune which also posts it on Career Builder for a CNC machinist. We got about 30 applications in. I narrowed it down to about 6-7 candidates. Made the phone calls, and only two called back! I felt the same way you do. Not sure if you guys are members of the TMA, but sometimes people go through them looking for jobs also.

John,

We have had a few applications come in. None of them were qualified (most applicants were using other softwares). We pay between 25 and 32 per hour depending on experience. Ususally a min of 10 hours of overtime is available per week. Good bennifits, etc etc....

$$$$$ sounds good, Just the culture shock form dallas texas to IL would probably do my old grey headed butt in.

Now if my kids were married and I had seen their kids I would definitely be headed down under to see whats up with Darren's side of the world. Is it true 7 women to every man in Australia

Lleal,

Its just cause soo many people down here can program, its the supply and demand thing, supply is high, demand is low. You think its bad in texas, I moved from Shreveport to Dallas and first job was a $8 per hour raise in pay. I have finally worked my way up to 62k but it has taken me 8 yrs in dallas to find that job. There are 100's or people who say they are programmers and about 5% of that really are programmers. Where I'm at now, the owner said the guy he tried before me killed $20k just from running into cavities or cores or not having his tool far enough out of the holder, I mean STUPID SH*T. When the owner told him he just couldn't aforrd to keep him any longer the guy replied "I can do this if you train me". The owner told him "man for 60 grand a year you ought to be training me".

THere are a lot of young guys that can drive Mastercam a little bit do some 2D work down here, so they talk the talk but they just can't walk the walk. The place I'm at now is a custom 3D shop and everything is at least fairly complicated. A lot of artsy fartsy 3D shaped lamps for custom aircraft, to do these lamp frames I usually have to cut one side of the part, machine a vacuum fixture cutting the opposite side of the surface and then finish the opposite side of the lamp frame, 75 % of this kind of work can't be done without having a 5 axis machine. I'll admit I wasn't sure if I was in over my head the first month or so. What was normal for this company was pushing the 3D 5 axis envolope for me and I really thought I was a pretty fair 3D programmer........I found out right quick I was "a legend in my on mind".......lol

I have people asking me all the time if i know anyone who is a machinist or programmer. Companies are screaming for these people up here in edmonton. The amount of jobs FAR outnumbers the amount of available workers to fill the positions. Up here the workers have the power.

Its incredible actually, If you cant find a job here, you must not want to be working. lol

Brandon, while I agree the appears to be a glut of positions, perhaps it's a bit different in your locale, the compensation and benfits, if there are any, are enrty level or slightly above.

I see and talk to guys ALL the time who moan they cannot find help, I know it's not everyone, many however are offering $12-14 hr for a programmer or programmer/set-up guy.

It's no wonder they are still/always looking.