Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How need to engrave on a angle?

millman2002

I need to engrave on a tapered tube. I am useing Mastercam 7 (Level 1) on a Fadal with rotery axes (A). I can do a cam wrap G17 to translate Y movement in to rotary movent. But the tube is tapered 1 deg. and the Z depth will constantly be changing. Can I rotate the geometry in Mastercam 1 deg around the y axes and get mastercam to out put the X Y and changing depts in Z? eek.gif

Thanks

Gary

Jay,

You may also re-read the initial post from millman2002.

quote:

I am useing Mastercam 7 (Level 1)

I don't believe level 1 has 5 axis toolpath capabilites, even if just to output 4th axis or axis substitutions. I could be mistaken but think that Dave's solution is much more viable for millman2002. Especially in V7. eek.gif Just thinking about trying that toolpath without surface or associativity in rotary work makes me cringe. eek.gif

millman2002,

About the only way I can think of is to project the geometry onto a surface and perform a 3D contour on the geometry. You can create the surface and then Create-Curve-Project the 2D geometry onto the surface. Then contour the geometry that was projected, selecting it with a window. You will also want to change all of your depths to Incremental, or a specified distance from the geometry location. This will not ouput incremental code if your post is not setup that way. You may want to place the projected geometry on a different level (layer) and color to make it easier to select when the time to toolpath it comes. smile.gif HTH smile.gif

[ 02-22-2002, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Peter Scott, Services 4 Automation ]