Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X2 shutting down problem ???

Bruce

quote:

I was able to create three simple tool paths before I got the familiar “Mastercam has encountered a problem and needs to shut down” message

Bruce,

what path have you assigned to NCI files??

if its a network path, try changing it back to something local.

Thats a good suggestion on the NCI path. We save our NC files and our MCX files to the network, but the NCI we save locally to our C: drive. Because the NCI gets copied to the MCX file internally when you save it, I have never worried that the NCI gets written to our local drive.

I have no idea what we use for network management. Doesn't Windows Server do that? I have no idea who sold you on the idea of Novell, but it wasn't a CAD/CAM person.

You might want to print this thread out and show it to your IT folks. Some people take security "over the top" and end up killing any chance of productivity.

I would make sure that you have FULL CONTROL access to the main folder and all sub folders that you are using on the server. Then set up some kind of automatic archival setup to backup your data daily. That is what we do. We also have a NetHook program to manage our model check in/out. For more info on creating that type of NetHook I would contact Mick George.

HTH,

One thing that could be causing your shut down problem when trying to open a file: If you save to a folder where you do not have "full control", when you attempt to do a "file open" Mastercam might be trying to load in file paths that you don't have permissions to "write" too. That might kill it. Have you tried contacting Chris Bell at CNC Software? He might be able to shed some light on what is going on. Is this file server Linux by any chance?

This is not a "Mastercam" problem. Sounds like Mastercam, Windows, and your server/network hardware aren't playing nice together. Might be time to re-think the whole network.

gcode,

I changed the NCI path to local, and X2 seems OK at this stage, I managed to create 5 different tool paths and with no shut downs. If this solves the problem, then their no point having half the files on the server and the other half on the local machines, (rather messy).

I have full admin rights to my machine and full read/write access to my section on the server.

I found the bitmap thingy “It’s now off”

One more thought.. this may have already been mentioned.

Make sure the network card ON YOUR LAPTOP is not getting shut off by the laptop's power management

app. Maybe the network card is getting shut off

and Mastercam shuts down when it can't see the

network anymore???

quote:

If this solves the problem, then their no point having half the files on the server and the other half on the local machines

Its really no big if the NCI is local and the MCX networked. The NCI is kind of an imtermediate working file that you will rarely need. A lot of guys spend thier whole Mastercam carrer never even knowing there is an NCI file.

While you're looking at paths... running Temp and Regen files to a local folder will yeild good performance increases.

Personally I do all my work local and save to the network for security.

Get a 20mg file with a couple of hundred Ops and you'll see why. A network Save can take 30-40 seconds vrs 3 or 4 to your local hard drive.

I understand the need to work off a server and its fine for simple stuff but when the files size gets over about 5 mg the performance hit is unacceptable IMO.

Now that your are successfully saving files on the network, make sure another user with another username can open them. We had terrible trouble with this, but I think it was because our IT Dept was getting overzealous with restrictive permissions.

Side note:

What is the cost to upgrade to NetHasp or should this be a reseller question? Our ProE is configed the same way so it only makes since. Why would you save NCI files locally anyway? If you don't need the NCIs don't save them at all. This can be changed in the config.

Back again!

Just when I thought it was save to go back into the water. X2 is still shutting down without any warning, but not nearly as often. I think our IT guys have put this problem in, the too hard basket.

Things I changed that made some improvement to the problem.

The NCI file is saves locally.

Removed the spaces from directory names.

Changed "File Open Dialog style" from Mastercam X to Windows Standard.

Where to from here, not to sure however I am going to load X2 onto a few other PC and see how it goes.

• 1 month later...