Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DNC Issue

Bob W.

I am running several parts DNC via MS Window's Hyperterminal and after a few hours it stops sending code. This is bad news because I need to run these parts lights out over the next few days to get them done. Any ideas as to how I can fix this?

The mill has its own dedicated computer whose sole purpose is to send the code. It sits about 4' from the RS232 port and is connected via a Predator cable. Are some of the DNC programs more stable at this sort of thing? Are there demos I can download so I can get these done?

Thanks,

Bob

quote:

after a few hours it stops sending code

HMMMMMMMMMMMM headscratch.gif

Does it help to reboot the PC when this happens?

(The infamous MS 'three-finger-salute' tongue.gif )

To fix it permanently, I would suggest looking into Cimco DNC Max. I ran 2 CNC's via DNC with RS232 cable for years using the DNC Max software and had no problems. It's relatively inexpensive and the tech support is usually handled through your Mastercam reseller so it's really a win / win scenario. biggrin.gif

Bob,

First, make sure that you don't have any "utilities" set up to run overnight. (Many virus programs are scheduled to run complete scans at 1am, 2am, etc.) While the possibility of a scan or some other routine utility causing problems with your OS is low, it is a possibility you should investigate. Another example, and one that could actually cause problems, is that of automated backup utils/apps. These can often cause disk access speed to slow dramatically, CPU usage to shoot to 100%, and other results that could affect the stability of DNC (drip-feed/spoon-feed transfers as opposed to short "loaded into memory" transmissions.

One other thing, can you reproduce the problem? Does it always happen at a certain time? Does it always happen when you have two or three transfers going, or just three, etc.?

/ start of shameless plug /

Of course, you could d/l our editor and try it for free for 30-days and see if that fixes your problem. You can request a license for a 3-port version too. Give us or MCAM NW a call.

/ end of shameless plug /

HAAS machines are very easy to setup:

1. Set the HAAS controller to 19200, Even, 7, 1, Software Handshake (Xon/Xoff) or DC code if you want to use "wait for Xon" function.

2. Set CIMCO Edit or DNC-Max to 19200, Even, 7, 1, Software Handshake (Xon/Xoff). (Turn on "wait for Xon" if you like).

You might already know, if "wait for Xon" is turned on, you have to send the file from the software side first then hit "read" or "cycle start (for DNC)" from CNC side.

3. Turn off the COM port FIFO buffer and restart the PC then you should be good to go.

Give your local CIMCO dealer a call if you need more details.

Good luck!