Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Reseller ??

mold100

this is a dealer/distributor related question,Say I purchuse V9 mill level3,with solids,and moldplus electrode maker on my own,things look good for now but 8 months down the road not so good.Would I be able to resell my seat for a fair amount of what I pay for it ,I am extremely curious.Any insight is greatly appreciated. smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

You mean all the shops that recently filed bancrupcy,and were forced to shut down are stuck with their mastercam,couldnt the dealer take it back?

Mastercam is not like MS Word. There are restrictions on who(actually "where" is the real issue) can buy the software. I would imagine that this is Mastercam's mechanism for complying with the Federal GOvernment's export/trade restrictions. Yes it is harsh, but that's life. When you "buy" it, that's the deal. If you can't abide by the terms it's probably best not to buy it. You will most likely find the same restrictions on all CAD/CAM Software.

JM2C

So according to what has been stated here ..you don't own anything .. you actually just lease it ... thats one awfully expensive lease isn't it? .. The next question would be this then .. there are other CAD/CAM companies to get your buisiness will offer a trade in on your seat .. is that illegal by mastercam's terms also?

quote:

The next question would be this then .. there are other CAD/CAM companies to get your buisiness will offer a trade in on your seat .. is that illegal by mastercam's terms also?

They (as well as CNC) do not take your seat of the other software. Thay usually offer a discount to owners of competitive products. Software licensing is a strange concept to almost everyone. You do not buy the software, you buy the right to use it, and per the licensing agreement you "Click to not show again" you cannot sell that right without the express permission of the Owners of the copyright (CNC Software in Mastercam's case).

Thanks for the info looks like a debatable topic,but I can see cnc softwares point,but if the dealer were to get it back(the license,due to the dongle),I dont see why they couldnt ""re-sell" the seat.If your legal and return the hasp why is it a big issue.We were able to unload a seat of Freeform(smartscam) to a shop that didnt have cad/cam,with very little hassle from sdrc(then camax).But I guess if you want to play you gotta stick to the rules of the game.Thank,again.

P.S. what exactly is a reseller or is it resaler.either way whats the job? confused.gif

It's reseller, sometimes called a VAR (Value Added Reseller). Our job is to install, setup, configure, and support the software.

All software is serialized and licensed to a specific user. In certain, very specific, cases, the software can be relicensed, but you have to get dealer/cnc approval in advance. If you buy it off Ebay or from a guy selling "gold" watches, you are sol.

My prior employer purchased version 7 level 3 at an auction and payed to transfer the license. As I remember either cnc or our reseller was somewhat reluctant to do this. In the end though everyone seemed to be satisfied. I think the charge was approximently 30% to 40%. This was still cheaper than sticker price. Prior to this we had purchased a level 1 seat. This is where I learned all the basics of mastercam. They have since upgraded at least one seat to version 8 level 3 w/solids.