Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solidworks 2007 to 9.1 SP2 acis problems

Jcadwell

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Well for starters... Solidworks uses the Parasolid Kernel (x_t, x_b, txt_xmt) NOT the ACIS kernel (SAT). I's STRONGLY suggest using a Parasolid Export and save it as the lowest version you can. I believe V9 only reads to V13.1 (could be wrong, to be sure open Mastercam with a solid, and export it as a parasolid and make note of the version numbers available then use those as your Export version).

On another note, if at all possible, I'd update to X2. File translations on older software will get more and more problematic as time goes on.

JM2C

Yes, James' technique should provide you with the best way to get the file into Mastercam.

To do this, use SolidWorks File/SaveAs function, and after selecting "Parasolid (*.X_T)" from the "Save As Type" dropdown, use the 'Options' button (before you hit the 'Save' button or the 'Enter' key) to change the desired output version.

We actually have X sitting on the shelf. The machinists here don't want to learn X.

The problem they have with parasolid is that it doesn't import line information in the form of edges (as far as I know). We do a lot of 2D cam work on Bridgeport EZtracks that only have 2 axis capability. Importing as a parasolid doesn't make it easy to recreate and analyze all the edges reliably.

I may be speaking filth. I'm the lowest on the Totem pole, so I was tasked with solving this. If there is a straightforward way to import files with all relevant info I'm all ears.

When importing a parasolid into V9 there is an option of creating it with edge curves.

Dumb question, do you have the solids add on or are these files being brought in as trimmed surfaces?

curves.png

If you click the edge curves you will get a parasolid with a line/curve on all edges

DISCLAIMER: I only installed V9 to help a certain individual who is STILL stuck on V9, who shall remain nameless biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...We actually have X sitting on the shelf. The machinists here don't want to learn X...

Their loss. Guess if they want their skills to stagnate and not move ahead... :shakehead:

You might want to install it just so you'll have an up to date translator if for nothing else.

JM2C