Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X2 dilemma again

Elad

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'm with Pete, you can't discount all those ESC hits.

V9 - C-L-E-E-ESC-ESC-ESC-ESC

X - Alt-C-L-E-E-ESC

My use is evolving. I went from strictly icons (yuck - had to give it a shot), to strictly keystrokes (yuck, BIG step backwards), to strictly a programmed RMB, (that was OK, but searching down the lists was a bit on the time consuming side), to my current method which I have been using since Beta X2, and that is a combination of all the methods. Icons for some, Key strokes for some, and RMB for others. That method seems to be the fastest for me. I still find my self making small tweeks here and there but I'm definitely faster in X without a doubt. And God help me if I have to go back to V9 for some reason. I'd rather put lit cigarettes in my eyes. eek.gif

That's my take and I'm sticking to it.

quote:

V9 - C-L-E-E-ESC-ESC-ESC-ESC

X - Alt-C-L-E-E-ESC

Way too many clicks for creating a line in both examples.

I do it in 9 with ONE mouse click.....

There is no reason what so ever to esc back through stacked threads unless you already have the line function called up in memory.

Then it only takes ONE more press of the esc key. Hold it down for half a sec and it will put you all the way to the root menue.

Simple....Alex is 100% right on.

But I like X better than 9 now, even if it is slower at doing some things than 9 is.

Too much extras to pass up on.

One of the biggest things is zooming, panning and rotating your view is so much easier.

Ver 9 drove from one little area in the upper left corner of the screen...Super fast.

However, since I switched to X, I no longer have carpel tunnel in my elbow.

Since X does in fact take more moves that do things in a viriety of different ways, it is easier on your joints.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Not to mention STABLE SpacePilot support. In V9 it's HIDEOUS at best. That function right there saves me quite a bit of time. So with X AND it's peripheral support. Can't beat it with older MC versions.

JM2C

Space pilot.....Ya I sure would like to get me one of those gizmo's one day. They look really cool...

Elad....what I would do is just have X2 installed on the same machines and let your guys mess wit it at their own pace. The first couple releases of X were like a bad dream you couldn't wake up from, but X2 rocks.

I started very slow, so as not to impeed production.

Some peoples brains function differently than others.

Some can absorb huge amounts of data at a time and the transition is rather quick and painless.

Others, like me, can only take in little bits at a time and it just takes longer.

Sooner or later they will make the switch.

[ 02-20-2007, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Murlin ]

Thad in order to create a line from endpoint to endpoint in 9, you need to already have entities on the screen that have endpoints. I drive 9 with no hotkeys at all. Just a trackball mouse, the menue tree, and the button bar on the top.

A slight movement of my thumb sends the courser all the way back and forth across the screen. Hardly any hand movment at all, just a bunch of repeditive clicking. (which is a bad thing BTW)

So to start sketching in just one click, you only need to click on the line icon and start sketching with auto cursor.

There are only a small percentage of times you have to use a manual endpoint command. When there are a bunch of entities in the same place, or when you cannot see the whole part on the screen.

The argument was it takes less clicks in X than 9.

I disagree.

quote:

Elad....what I would do is just have X2 installed on the same machines and let your guys mess wit it at their own pace. The first couple releases of X were like a bad dream you couldn't wake up from, but X2 rocks.

I started very slow, so as not to impeed production.

Some peoples brains function differently than others.

Some can absorb huge amounts of data at a time and the transition is rather quick and painless.

Others, like me, can only take in little bits at a time and it just takes longer.

Sooner or later they will make the switch.

+10000000

The way we did it was install X and continue in V9. Messed with X and got a little comfortable. Took some classes at Cimtech. Kicked and screamed...finally "Got it" and now rarely use X much less 9. X2 is overall, so much faster to get code to the machine that it's a real advantage. Do it, and in three months you'll wonder why you waited so long. No kidding

Elad,

I agree with cascadeclimbr here:

quote:

create a line from one endpoint to another if so its 3 clicks of the mouse

. First click is on the Create-Line-Endpoint icon from the Sketcher toolbar. 3zg7r4h.jpg

Second click is on one Autocursor selected point on existing geometry or sketched point on the screen. Third click is on second endpoint of desired line, either using Autocursor again or sketching the second endpoint on the screen. Enter to accept line as is or left click on screen using another point for the next line. Once in the Line function, there's no Backup or pressing the ESC key to change the menu to create a Horizontal line or Vertical line or Polar line or Multi-line or Tangent line. These five separate functions in V9 are included in the same Create-Line-Endpoint function in X and X2. Far less time than clicking on the ESC key and typing another button on the keyboard.

The point I'm making is that while it SEEMS slower at first to create geometry in X, use it for a while and you'll eventually decrease your time to design with it. It just takes a little time to get used to it. If progress wasn't better we'd all still be riding horse drawn carriages. You must move forward. Mastercam is not going to continue to develop V9. HTH cheers.gif

Thad, this is the button I was talking about.

James, I don't know where you get all those clicks from. I tried it in X and 9 and got the SAME number of moves/clicks in either X and 9.

But to create a line/polar, takes ONE more click to do it in X than it does in 9 wink.gif

Peter, all the functions are(by default, no need to create special menues) there except the tangent one but you could customize a button for everything in 9. no need to esc or backup or pull up any prev menues unless you already have thata function called up and the error message "that function already in use" as I have already stated.

Try this one in X.

Hit the CL/E/E button in 9 and then instantly go to keypad and type 4,4,4[enter], 5,5,5[enter]...

I cannot find a faster way to do it in X yet headscratch.gif

You must use 2 extra moves to do it.

We all know that 9 is no longer getting supported. That goes without saying so we are forced to make the change whether we want to or not if you want support from CNC.

headscratch.gif kinda like Microsoft did to CAD/CAM users with Vista vs XP don't ya think biggrin.gif

I will agree that the move to X was a good thing.

But lets call a spade, a spade shall we cheers.gif

mc9_1.jpg

Murlin there are no mouse moves required in X. Set your autocursor to default to fast point mode. Now you can type 4,4,4 enter and 5,5,5 enter. If you want to beleive that you are faster in 9 so be it. On certain individual functions, sure. But not having to leave create line endpoints to create horizontal, vertical, polar, perpendicular, tangent, etc... saves sooooooooo many clicks or esc. key hits it's not even funny. If your polar line was correct when you input great, if you need to make a change, undo and input ALL the #'s again, in X with live entities just change what you want and it updates.

How many times do you do an xform translate and punch in the wrong value? Or are unsure of what the values need to be? undo, and start from scratch every time.

previews, live entites, backplot, MRU, using all of the selection methods to unselect, Inverse selection chook, etc... are just some of the things that make X way faster than 9 from start to finish.

JM2C

quote:

Thad, this is the button I was talking about.

Yes, I see. It looks just like the one that Peter Scott shows. wink.gif

quote:

Don't forget it takes three clicks everytime you do a dynamic rotation 9, these REALLY add up.

With MCUtils, it only takes one (just like X). biggrin.gif

Thad

quote:

I am not sure how you figured that

click on line and I typed 4,4,4 and 5,5,5

same as 9

That's because I didn't have my autocursor set the way Roger said....thanks Roger...

Now it is same as 9. cool...

I have been using MC since ver 6 and hardly ever used draw line vert or hor...I use paralel line

Not everyone draws the same way wink.gif

Sheesh....leave it to the politicians to throw a spin on what the subject was.

I believe the discussion was that it took 7 clicks in 9 to make a line verses 3 in X.

Then all of the sudden I hate X, my country and Mastercam... rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

quote:

Boy Elad, now look what you started! If you would have only updated, this would never have happened.

Ya, ya good Idea...blame it on Elad biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif