Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

changing tool number question

bhayden10

I searched and seen this has been asked a year ago and was wondering if there was any changes made. I have a file with alot of surfacing passes that i need to rearange my tool numbers to match another file and whats in the machine but it will change the stepover % and speeds and feeds to what the tool is described at which I don't want to do. I just want the tool to be a different number. Is there a way to do this now?

Thanks!

Thad,

This is the post i was talking about. I just tried this and it works alot better than what I was doing by changing it in the tool manager so this may be as good as it gets. Thanks for your help!

Heres one for you all. At the shop I work in we have 16 machines running MCX. We run a lot of one off parts but do get re-run parts also. However the job is usually NOT run at the same machine. Many times this requires changing the tool numbers. Changing the number in the tool manager initiates the "Update tool and all opps" window. Selecting OK does update all tool numbers but also all feeds and speeds from the tool paramters page.(We use "From tool" for speeds and feeds) I just want the tool number to change. To get around this problem we use the "Edit common parameters" feature by selecting all opps that use that tool number from the opps manager > R -click on one of the opps > click "Edit selected operations" > Edit common parameters. Check the tool number and enter the new one. Personally I would prefer it simply from the tool manager...then maybe an added question or check box "Tool number only"? Hope CNC reads this.

Roger,

I was going to the tool manager, right click, edit tool then click on the first tab where it says tool # i would change that to be what i wanted. It would say tool already exsist, i would say okay, then okay again and then have to go and change my parameters back to what they were in the operation and regen. I just tried doing what I described above and that worked much better, I didn't have to regen the op and all my stepovers etc. stayed what they were. I had posted my first question before I tried that because they made it sound combersome but it was way better than what I was doing. Is there another way thats better?

Thanks!