Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma MC-V4020 tapping

jeff

I have the E100M control and when I tap there is a delay when going from hole to hole.

About 1-2 seconds.

Can I reduce this and if so how?

Here is my program:

N1100(1/2-13 TAP 2 PLCS)

T07

/M08

G00G40G80G90

G56H06X-1.562Y0.Z2.S520M03

G71Z3.

G284X-1.562Y0.Z-1.4R.3F40.M53

X1.562Y0.

G80M54

M09

G30P1

M01

M06

I'm assuming that you're using the G71 to jump a clamp or come up out of a pocket, but if you don't need it definitely dump it, as Rick said.

Does the spindle rotate during this pause?

You might try adding an E0. on the G284 line without the M3 to force spindle oriention to zero. This will probably make it worse [or have no effect] but anything is worth a try.

C

From "SPECIAL FUNCTIONS MANUAL No.1" for OSP-P200M

quote:

Dwell Period at the Point R Level in Return Cycle (Q)

The command specifies the length of time the tool dwells at the point R level. The length of time may be specified in the same manner as a P command explained in item (7) above.

Designation of the dwell period may be omitted. If you omit this command, the dwell period is

determined according to the general rule for a fixed cycle.

So you could try a Q0.

We just got a MC-V4020. I have a few question also, but I'm hesitant to hi-jack the thread. Oh well, first can someone explain G30 a little and how I can define more positions for it. Secondly ... the tool change sends the table to the right ... I want it to leave the table alone. How?

Sambo, thanks for the info...

G30 is the reference point return.

For example when I do an M06 my program looks like this

M09

G30P1

M01

M06

The G30P1 sends the tool to the tool change position.So does the M06,but I like the M01 option before that actual toolchange in case I need to run that tool again.

As for your table going right, it's defined by your Home Position parameter (G30P1 thru P32)

Hit the Parameter button and Item up or down and you will see that screen.

EDIT: DO NOT change the Y or Z value, or your tool arm will crash! eek.gif

If your arm is hitting hard, you can move this Z up or down SLIGHTLY to adjust it though.

Ok ... that was just a guess .... try this one.

First off, it sounds almost terrifying.

From "SPECIAL FUNCTIONS MANUAL No.1" for OSP-P200M

quote:

SECTION 9 CYCLE TIME REDUCTION FUNCTION

Ignoring Spindle Rotation Answer M300 (1 Block)

If M300 is executed, program advances to the next block without waiting for the answer signal for the specified spindle operation command such as spindle start, stop, and orientation.

Supplement: An alarm occurs if M300 is specified in the fixed cycle mode.

Can't find if it's modal or one shot.

I don't have much faith in this one but it might be worth a shot.

quote:

An alarm occurs if M300 is specified in the fixed cycle mode.

Tapping is a fixed cycle

"Don't wait for spindle answer" is typically a lathe thing, I believe, and all "Cycle Time Reduction" functions disable features that keep the machine from being thumped. If the difference between and 32 second part and a 27 second part will put you out of business then exploring these options may be necessary, but otherwise they are an unnecessary danger IMO.

C

I'm in the mood to be a jerk. So here we go.

Tapping is a fixed cycle? OMG!! Really?? Are you sure?? Next you'll tell me the world is round!!

Ok, done. The operative word there is "in"... An alarm occurs if M300 is specified IN the fixed cycle mode. So put it before, or after the tapping block.

Finally, I wouldn't say out of business, but how many holes do you tap in a year? Even if it's one second a hole, I could probably take a week off with that time.

Hi Jeff,

I would use next format:

T1 M06 ( D0.3125 " | R0.0000 )

(MAX - Z.5)

(MIN - Z-1.25)

N1 G00 G90 X-1.4581 Y1.829 S108 M3

G94 G56 H1 Z2.5

G71 Z.5

G95 M327

G284 Z-1.25 R.1 F.0556 E0 M53

X.767 Y.7586

G0

G94

I am not using G80 , i am not 100% sure but it could create your problem, use G0

Look, if it work for you

good luck

mig, I'll give that a try tomorrow thanks.

quote:

Also delay could be generated because spindle changing direction and machine not start move until speed of rotation equal programmed .

Regards

If this was the case, then there should be a delay when it reverses and backs out of the hole.

It's almost instantaneous.

If my table moves 40" between tapped holes, even at 10% rapid (allowing time enough for the spindle to change directions) there is still a delay when it reaches the position before tapping.

I need to call Okuma I guess.

Does anyone else have this problem that has the same machine and or control?

Normally this isn't a big deal, but when tapping alot of holes, my cycle time is increased by at least a minute and with a big production run, that's too much.

I have a couple of 3016s with the U10M which do 'hesitate' during tapping but I have more problems with the guys being in the sh!thouse when the part's done than with an extra 20 seconds on my cycles so I haven't really delved into it. I'll be more than happy to ride your coat-tails, though, when you figure it out!

Did you ever try the E0. ? I'm 99% sure it won't help but you've tried a ton of stuff so far; what's one more?

C

Chris,

Just tried the E0. and all that seems to do is orient the spindle before it starts to tap.

I watched the spindle closely and it orients, then it moves a tiny bit ccw then back to orient position before it taps.

It looks like it's trying to determine where it is.

Maybe that's because it's syncro tapping?