Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HI Speed Ball Mills and Tooling

Smit

I'm getting ready to play with the high speed toolpaths, after reading some of the input in the hispeed toolpath thread.

Does anybody have recommendations on great tools to use for these paths? A 1/2" ball mill is probably what we use the most. An inserted mill would be the best, but if solid carbide yields the best results that would be OK.

TIA cheers.gif

We like to use solid carbide and let them run unattended at night. We use YG ballnoses. But if you like carbide inserted ball noses take a look at Millstar's line of single insert ball nose cutters. I used them a lot at the last place I worked.

• 3 weeks later...

Fraisa Sphericuts to rough and semi-finish. Fraisa HX-S to finish.

The Shericuts are made from a tougher carbide which works well for aggressive hard milling, the HX-S tools are made from a harder carbide which is too brittle for aggressive milling but works GREAT in finishing due to increased tool life and better finishes.

Look for a NEGATIVE rake angle for hard milling cutters.