Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

wcs question

dantheman

I have been working with the “WCS” (for the first time) today by going into the view manager and creating new views and defining a new wcs instead of rotating my block. It all seemed to be working fine but I am just finding out that my drill cycles do not seem to pick up my new origin on the “Z” value? the real strange thing is that my endmills are all fine? Its just my drills. This must be a routine problem but I have not been able to figure out whats happening. I would appreciate it if any one has input!

After you pick the geo or copy the wcs make sure to click the "=" button to make sure that the wcs changed the c plane and the t plane. Also make sure to turn on the update graphics view

when wcs changing. You may want to go in a little more detail on how you created your wcs too.

I used geometry to create the wcs and than rotated the wcs with the directional arrow unti it flipped to the x y and z looking how I wanted it. While in that menu I named the view and selected the option to "set as wcs" Than in the next menu I did select "=".

I don't understand why my endmills are okay in backplot. Its just my drills that backplot incorrect on the "z" ?? And than it post okay. Thats kinda scarry

Dan,

I recall problems with backplot values being incorrect (I think they were based on the original Top WCS) when X first came out. I think that's been fixed though.

If you'll notice, there are 2 places that coordinate values show up when backplotting. One is at the bottom left of the screen and the other is in the info tab of the backplot window. IIRC, the bottom left of screen values are from the original WCS and the info tab were from the current WCS. I could be wrong on that though.

Thad

It sound like you are doing it right. What I do, I create geometry (two lines) and pick the "X" axis first and "Y" axis second. If you choose it that way you don't have to flip the arrows it will dead nuts. The lines I created I save them on a different level with other wcs lines. The way I keep track is that I mark the lines with notes and colors. Now you have to remember that everyone is different and what is good for me may not be good for you or others. I never had a problem drilled cycles that i noticed yet. Also what does it look like in verify?

quote:

What I do, I create geometry (two lines) and pick the "X" axis first and "Y" axis second. If you choose it that way you don't have to flip the arrows it will dead nuts.

I usually have geometry in the part that I can select, but if I don't, I have a file called ORIGIN.MCX that I can quickly merge in. It's a "star" that consists of 6 lines all starting at the origin and pointing in +/- direction of each axis. The center of the star is the origin, it's on an unused level and it's colored a special color. This gives me many options to isolate it when needed. Now, I always have 2 lines that will point in the positive direction of each axis. Selecting geometry for a new WCS gets done right the first time, EVERY time. Also, with the start residing at the origin, I don't have to go back and reselect the origin when using it like I do if I pick other geometry that's already in the file.

Thad