Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X2 "post" question

JG

Hi All,

It's my understanding that in X2 a "local" copy of your "post" (In this case "post" could mean machine def, control def and/or pst) is saved in your mcx file, if this is the case is there a way to see if what is saved within the mcx file matches what is currently the "master" on the hard drive? or to put it a different way, what if you ran into a situation that required a post mod how do you apply it to previously saved programs? I hope I'm describing this clearly enough....

Thanks for the input.

Jg

Your understanding is correct.

However, the post, will always read from the current post stored in your directory regardless. Any changes made to the machine and control definitions will be out of date if changes were made to those. and you need to reload the machine def into your "older" file.

There is no way to compare them that I am aware of.

If all you want to do is change the post to a 'newer version' or even a completely different post all together do this;

Click on the Machine Def. Manager icon (if not available on your toolbar, goto Settings/Machine Def. Manager). Once that has poped up, select the icon on the top row that says Control Def. Manager.

In Control Def. Manager, click on Post Processor, then Add Files, select your updated or new post, hit ok until you are back to the design screen and re-post.

HTH

yes but be aware that some changes into your post will be read into the control def, text names on drill cycles, misc variables and such, so even though your post may be correct the text fields will not show correctly if you still have an older version of you machine/control def with the file.

As I rule of thumb if I have not opened a file for awhile, I will generally reload the machine def just to make sure it's the most current one at that time.

Hi guys, for the most part you're on the right track here except for one thing -- there is no local copy of the PST file stored with your MCX file. There is a local copy of the machine def and control def, but not the PST itself. So if you give your MCX file to someone in another shop, they don't need your MMD or CONTROL file on their workstation to run your job; but they DO need your PST file.

1. If you try to edit the post text or misc values while you are working on the local copy of the MD/CD, Mastercam won't let you. You have to load the master copy from the Settings menu.

2. If you do edit the post text or misc values from the master copy, and then load an older part, the new text/misc value labels are automatically available, because Mastercam always reads the PST file fresh. (I just tried it, to be sure.)

HTH,

Robert