Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

need help with selecting surf toolpath

ERIC14779

Hi all

I have a POP display that we are cutting out of MDF. it is about 14" long 4" wide and 1.5" thick.

It consists of a resessed area 1/4" in all around with 29 yes twenty-nine 1/16" wide grooves running along the 14" dim. 1/16" deep. So far so good.

The problem is that sticking up off that resesed area is some logo lettering that comes up to the top surface of the 1.5" thickness.

manny of the 1/16" wide grooves come up to the lettering and also in the "holes" in the lettering so simply using a contour toolpath is a lot of work.

What type of surfacing tool path will cut down in the groove then retract out up over a leter and back down in the groove.

I have already pocketed all around the lettering so I only need to cut the grooves.

I am using X2 SP1

a shallow or scallop toolpath with your groove surfaces as drive surfaces and everything else you dont want to cut as check surfaces sounds like it will do what you want. You could also create geometry as boundries to keep the tool where you want it to stay as well. What ever is quicker depending on your geometry