Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MacBook Pro

Allan

One our engineers has a MacBook Pro that he has set up with a dual boot. One side of the drive runs Windows XP for his work needs (ProE, Ansys, etc). The other side boots to Mac os (not sure what version, 10 I think).

He hasn't had any problems that I am aware of.

Ansys is a pretty powerful, resource demanding application. I would guess to say it is on the same level as MCX as far as hardware requirements.

Doug, thanks for the info.

Had a quick look at the Ansys site where they talk about resources:

eek.gif

quote:

High end servers

These systems offer maximum performance all the way up to the current limitation of ANSYS software. They should be configured with maximum memory per processor. It is better to buy fewer processors and more memory on such a system. An 8-processor system with 64 GB of memory is a better system to run ANSYS than 16 processors with 32 GB of memory. An ideal configuration for a high end server system is 16 processors (Itel Itanium, 1.6 Ghz) with 128 GB of memory and 1 TB of striped disks. This system can solve multiple million DOF-sized jobs, a single 100 Million DOF analysis or a steady workload of ANSYS jobs including remote solves from ANSYS Workbench. It runs shared memory parallel and achieves even better parallel performance using PPFA and distributed MPI-based parallel performance. This is the only system configuration that can solve a 100 Million DOF sized model currently and it is also the only system configuration that can support multiple very large jobs in excess of 1 million DOFs all running at peak performance.

128GB of Ram 1TB Disk space. How much does that cost?

Allan

Allen,

I just went for a demo at the Apple store here in toronto. The notebook was set up with parrallel and XP ran off that application there was no lag and it ran fine it was a cool little feature. I talked to them about if it met the requirements listed in the mastercam.com and they said it wouldn't be a problem. cool little notebook I am looking at buying one not just for the laptop but also the support thye have an included feature I believe its called "apple care" that gives you 100 hours of mac training for microsoft jumpers.

You can say that again Nathan. biggrin.gif

I spent some time this weekend watching the online videos about the newest Mac OS. Very impressive, makes windows look like a joke.

The possibility of running MCX and ProE in Mac OS is very enticing.