Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Networking the config file

FLIPPER™

Hello everyone,

What I am trying to do is setup a way to network all my setting files. So, I setup a shortcut to goto my config. locally and in it all support setting files are pointed to the files on a network location. This way as I hop from computer to computer as we do here, I can just copy the backup copy (config) on the network to the local machine and I'm up and running. In shortcut properties I have "C:mcamxmastercam.exe mcamx-FLIPPER.config /s". Really what I would like to do is a path to the network location instead. so ALL my files are there and only a shortcut is saved to the local machines. When I try, it never works.

Is this possible.

Thanks in advance.

Flipper cheers.gif

Flipper,

Are all your files working from the network? Custom toolbars? Be aware that when you change something in the config file it only saves locally you have to manually save it to the network drive where you are opening from. V 9 would save the config back to where you were changing it from(network). X will only save it locally. Machine definitions, posts, tool libraries, operation libraries and Defaults, seem to save back to the network where they are opened from. Custom toolbars will not save to network for some reason. I thought I was the only one running like this.

Steve Arteman

www.cad2cam.net

Hey Flipper,

I have not done much with creating the shortcuts as you are talking about within the desktop link. But, I did just copy all my config, cnc_machines, mill & lathe folders onto our network drive (Q in my case) and the re-direct MC to use the config settings off of that.

I tried a few posts and config files, and all seems well. I am not sure why u would need a seperate config for yourself, when all the setting should remain the same and you can just change your icon layout to match what you want...? Just how I am thinking.

Looking at it from my pespective, the network idea is good because we have 4 programmers here, thus, 4 computers. Instead of me continually updating their computers with my revised posts or update tool librarys, they (and me) can access all that from one central source. Seems a good idea to save time and effort. And as I said, if you don't like their layout, just create your own toolbar state...

hth

Randy

I have a personal drive where all my posts settings and config files reside. why my own config? only because if one of the 5 people programming would like to change the post or a setting (color), he is not changing my post or my settings or tool libraries. We can not get to each others config files the way we run Mcam. My post without my login is not going to be changed unless I do it. Also all of my settings in config, or tool libraries are just the way I want them and like them. There is not one person using the same settings where I work so this is why we all have our own config settings and they reside on our personal drive and all of us have our own icon on the personal desktop (U: in my case)this drive is setup with our personal user login and password. My settings are the same everyday. Using X2 this way is huge time saver in my eyes. I have been using these settings since v8. How many times have you sat down and had to change things to your settings? and there is always that one guy who love to change things around and mess with all the posts.

Steve Arteman

www.cad2cam.net