Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Diskless Clients

88Matt

You betchya.

Sounds like a bad idea to me. If you're talking about the kind of terminal I'm thinking of, all of your application are run on the server. This is fine if you're checking email and writing documents, but if you need a workstation you actually need a workstation. I don't think any CADCAM software will work worth anything on one of those. Ask IT if they want the server to stall every time you have to generate a surface toolpath.

quote:

If you're talking about the kind of terminal I'm thinking of, all of your application are run on the server.

All the porgrams are on the network with no HD in the computer. It is not your average server. It runs UG and ProE all ready.

You shouldn't have a problem, is my guess (not that I REALLY know), but the way that thin-clients work is that they load an operating system over the network onto your computer, so when crunching something (a toolpath), it's using the local processor/ram to generate it.. Your software running on the computer won't really know that it's saving over a network, it'll treat it as local the whole time, so you shouldn't even run into any problems there.

Cheers!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Thin clients have good points... the biggest issue you'll run into are the usual graphics issues. Generally, thin clients tend to have the on board type graphics. If you could get a decent Workstation Class Graphics adapter... letting the server (which in most cases are more robust than your average workstation) do all the math is the wave of the future. Do some reading on "Distributed Networking". Linky for some good reading. NASA, companies that do HEAVY FEA, etc... are driving the technology. As long as IT is on their game with regular DAILY backups... it's worth a shot. Besides if it fails miserably, you can always sqwak REALLY loud and get yourself a real workstation afterwards. Besides... with security going the direction it's going... this direction is inevitable.

JM2C