Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Learning new machines

CRFJim

I'm applying for a job elsewhere and one of the questions deals with my familiarity with their machines. They use Mazak, Fadal, etc while my only experience is with Haas machines. I learned on a VF-0 at school and presently run a VF-6 at my current job. How hard is it to learn other machines? I assume that regardless of machine brand or what they call the functions, it still needs to have the same things, right? Or am I letting my inexperience show by even thinking that? I don't want to overstate my ability, but at the same time I don't want to give my prospective employer the idea I'm not capable of learning something new, after all that's the whole idea of the new job is trying to learn new skills and become better at what I love doing. What's the best way to make that statement to a new employer? Jim

Well, the first thing is going to be your own ability to adapt.

Generally, the biggest differences I have seen is how you touch off tools and set your work coordinates. After that, for me it's button location, so I know where the necessary buttons are located and then the actual G code itself.

Different controls are just that, different.

With rare exception are they a completely different animal

When you start any new job there is a learning curve. Most places I have worked understand that. My first eight years of machining was spent mainly on Fadals. When I went to a shop that used different machines I remember I felt like you do now. Although learning a new machine can be frustrating it doesn't take as long as you would think. Now I have the opportunity to train new guys when they start at our shop and I try to teach them everything I know about the machines so they can become more productive. The best advice I can give you is to be honest about what you know before you get the job. Good help is hard to find, but if your a good employee a shop shouldn't mind teaching you how to use a certain machine. Within a few months it will be second nature.

Justin

The number one first thing you need to do is get your hands on the operator and programming manual. Read the G and M codes that the machine uses and learn the differences. A fadal, a Haas, and a Mazak in EIA mode all have pretty similar looking g code formats and functions. Compare that to an Okuma for example, which a different code format and programming method than the other three. Take the Z axis home position for example. You could MDI G28 (machine coordinates) G91 (inc) G0 Z0. and press cycle start with relative confidence, as the Z home position is with the axis retracted away from the table. On an Okuma that will crash the machine because the Z axis machine zero is the face of the spindle on the bed of the machine. You would want to send the Okuma to Z 30. for example.

Thanks, guys. I assumed (hoped) that's the way it was. I've always been told I pick things up quicker than most, but I still have my doubts sometimes. I also know what you mean about "attitude changes" from business to business. I've changed jobs enough to know the old, "when in Rome, do as the Romans" cliche is pretty true most of the time. I also know the quickest way to alienate new co-workers (and management) is to imply that the last place you worked had smarter bosses, better machines, cleaner floors, longer breaks, better selection at the snack machines, etc. I also figure there's a reason God gave me two ears and only one mouth, and that's to listen twice as often as I talk. Anyway, thank you once again!

Jim

Jim,

It sounds like you know what you want to do (the hard part), you just have to figure out how to tell the machine what you want it to do (the easy part). I think you'll have no problem picking up on other controls.

Along with being a good listener, take good notes. It's nice to be working side by side with someone and when they leave for a few minutes, they return and you've accomplished something while they were gone. wink.gif

quote:

I also figure there's a reason God gave me two ears and only one mouth, and that's to listen twice as often as I talk.

I like that. smile.gif

Thad