Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Newbie lathe question

somename75

I am attempting to figure out how to program a lathe with mastercam for the first time and have what I hope is a simple question. We have a slant bed mori with a yasnac control on it and the guys have been using gibbs and writing programs for this machine by hand. There seems to be some canned cycles that handle a lot of the roughing and define the geo of the part, with things like depth of cut built in. Can I get that kind of output from mastercam? Or is the output more long-hand from mastercam, with the DOC variables and things like that handled by the cam side. Hope that makes sense, thanks

I always use longhand. I don't care about the size of the program, and like the flexibility. If you like to have one line of code for an entire roughing or finishing cycle, then shorthand it. Also, it's easier-editable at the machine with canned cycles, not so much with longhand. That is if you want folks editing at the machine. biggrin.gif

somename75,

Glad it helped. cheers.gif

Chris,

I agree. Some older machines (like an old Leadwell I sometimes run) don't have enough memory and is a pain to DNC. I'll use some canned cycles to fit it into the memory with one program. On our newer hardinges and moris i can repost and transfer just as fast or faster than hand editing at the control.

Hijack!!!

quote:

like an old Leadwell I sometimes run

Oh man, I feel your pain there!

I used to run a 1993 LTC 50 AXL (ACL?)

Big a$$ machine,but what a total waste of cast iron.

It's a 48,000 pound boat anchor!

33in swing, 10 ft between centers,and the absolute worst motor...a Fanuc 50 horse "high-torque" motor.

It was a sad attempt to replace a gear box with something like "high torque".

Throw in a 25" dia 7 foot long chunk of steel in there and be prepared to only take about .100 per side (if you're lucky).

How is your Leadwell? biggrin.gif