Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fill Holes W/ Surfaces

GBeaman

This is my first post here. I hope you guys don't mind me too much. My question is about the fill holes with surfaces feature. I have a part where a hole extends into to 2 different surfaces and I get a "Can only fill internal edges of a solid face" error when I select the surface and the hole I want to fill. This function worked fine on holes that were completely encompassed by the chosen surface. I am VERY green.... I feel like a 2 yr old kid who has just been shoved into the pool and told to SWIM! We just got X2, where all I had used was V8 before. And very limited at that too. Never used solids. The part they gave me is a rotary job too. I have also never driven a 4th with MCam. Thanks for all of your patience. This forum looks like a gold mine of expertise.

-Greg Beaman

Welcome to the forum, Greg! cheers.gif

You'll probably have to patch it in with a couple surfaces. Read the instructions at the top of the page for uploading files to the FTP. Upload your file to the proper folder and tell us what it's called. Someone will probably do it for you and then tell you how they did it.

Thad

I ran into agian lat week. This is how I got to fillit in nicely.

Create a curve one edge from surface. In my case I had to create 4 edge curves total. Then creat a surface ruled/lofted from those edges just made. You just need to start your selection on the correct side of the entities you pick for creating that surface. So I created one surface than another and job was done very nicely.

HTH

I ran into again last week. This is how I got to fill it in nicely.

Create a curve one edge from surface. In my case I had to create 4 edge curves total. Then create a surface ruled/lofted from those edges just made. You just need to start your selection on the correct side of the entities you pick for creating that surface. So I created one surface than another and job was done very nicely.

HTH

Thanks, for the quick responses. I read the FTP instructions and am having a bit of trouble downloading to the site. I am not an administrator on my computer and don't have full user rights. I wonder if this might be the problem. I can download a file from the FTP, but when I drag my file onto the FTP window with the correct folder open, I get the "Open with" or "save to disk" window and it isn't copying it to the FTP. I am really dense about this computer stuff. I have a lot of ground to cover. Thanks so much I will try the flat boundary right away.

-Greg

edmBosto,

Thanks for the advice... That gives me some ideas.

I created a flat boundary surface, and that worked, however, when I try to contour the surface with a surface finish flowline, MCam doesn't recognize it as a continuous feature and will surface the flat boundaries separate of the other surface. I was hoping for smooth continual motion, trying not to dip down into what amounts to a counter bore with my ball end mill.

edmBosto,

I bet your bosto is much newer then my personal machine. I have a 1985 312 in my home shop. They seem to be a rare breed in the south.

Thanks again.

-Greg

quote:

I created a swept surface that seemed to solve my troubles.

Greg, I emailed your file back. Swept was the easy option, based on your part shape.

Another method is to project curves onto the surrounding surface. These new curves will "hold shape" for you. Now you can use the projected curves to create a ruled or lofted surface. Then trim your ruled or lofted surface back the original "hole" shape with the "Trim surface to curves" option.

Thad