Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

custom designed tools

JAMES GABEL

I am trying to setup a library for my tool holders and tools. I sketched out all my holders and drew one of my cutters in with one. I want to be able to pick that custom tool file and use it to back plot and verify. When I make my tool path I use the user defined, that works great in back plot but in verify it shows the wrong form on the end of the cutter. I did chose user-defined on verify and that did not work. That makes me uncomfortable. I also tried choosing a ball end mill and pick custom file and that made the tool 1/4 the size it was before.

Guest John Paris @ Services 4 Automati

Paul,

If I can make a suggestion, it sounds like you could really use a training class.

You should probably call your reseller and get one or two scheduled. They would go a long way to helping you understand and solve your issues.

• 7 months later...
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

You need to make it an "Undefined" Type an d just use the Level or File and use the first diameter as the tip diameter and set the shank diameter correctly as well.

HTH

Just wanna say thanks I have been struggling with creating new tools for like a month never tried to use undefined bonk.gif works great now many thanks to all the great people here I try to read the forums everyday and I usually learn some thing new everyday!! cheers.gif

• 2 years later...

Back on this subject again, I just started running a job and I am using a defined tool on a tool path. I am cutting a 45 deg tapper down in a part. I have a ball drop to check the depth. When I run the program the ball drop was showing +.006 high on the ball drop. I checked everything and everything was right on the program side of it, I also checked the gaging of the tool to make sure that it was gaged right. Then I created just a ball endmill and ran that and it was right.

When using a user defined tool and you put in the dia. it should know what to offset, how does it know if it is a ball or not? On verify it looks like it offsets the path good to the part. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Some how it is not offsetting it right. cuckoo.gif

Ok then the question becomes what method did you use. There are 2 methods to define custom tools there is the 1.0 scale where you draw what ever tool to 1.0 from center line. So if you were making a custom 4" dia tool you would need to scale everything by .25 and vice versa if it were a .25 tool you would need to scale it 4 times bigger. Then you use a standard tool definition to the define the custom tool. Now the other way is to make a tool to scale and then define that tool by the diameter of cutting part. So you could have a .237 diameter tool with a .250 shank. You should define it as .237 in diameter and not .25. This method requires the Custom tool be used not a defined tool. The next question is how to do you test what is correct. Very easy. Make a round surface. Then do a surface toolpath like flowing one line. Then see by adjusting the diameter of the tool how your codes changes. Now you can figure out what it causing your error on your custom tool definition.

HTH