Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe post questions

Thee Dragracer1951

Ron

I'm not asking for someones post. I know better than that. What I am asking about is if there is a post that takes advantage of the stock advance function in lathe, and if there is a post that will automate my Haas barfeed. I have not seen one on the original disk yet but I have not poured over each and every post looking for barfeed stuff. To be honest, I'm not sure what I would be looking for in the post anyway...

What I am asking is, is there one that is available and is the MP lathe MPMaster post out yet.

Ok let see if I can help you here that link takes you to the MLPMASTER post so yes it is out. The Task you are after is not an easy task if you do not understand posts. There are sections in the Generic posts that ship with Mastercam, but require you to tune them to your specific machine and control thus they are generic. Things like opening the chuck, sending the correct M code to the bar feeder, how much dwell time you may or may not need for that. Do you call a sub program and that takes care of all of it. How you handle you counter do you want to G10 the amount using a post variable. Some machines will go as far as suing letter variable to handle the logic required for the bar feeder so again it is Generic in nature and not that bad but does require some work.

Here is the section from MPLMASTER:

code:

pstck_bar_fd$    #NCI code = 902 available variables:

#stck_spindle, stck_op, stck_clear,

#stck_grip, stck_init_z, stck_final_z,

#stck_chuk_st_z, stck_chuk_st_x,

#stck_chuk_end_z, stck_chuk_end_x,

#stck_adv_fr, stck_appr_fr

if stck_op$ <> 1, # if NOT using the 'Tool Stop option'

[

if toolchng <> two, ptoolend$

toolend_flg = zero #Do not execute ptoolend again after xfer

]

else,

toolend_flg = one #DO execute ptoolend after xfer

[

!spaces$

spaces$ = zero

pbld, n$, "M00",e$

if prv_spaces$ > 0, " ",e$

if stck_op$ = 0, "(Push stock -",e$

if stck_op$ = 1, "(Push stock with Use Tool Stop option -",e$

if stck_op$ = 2, "(Pull stock -",e$

if stck_spindle$ = 0, " from Left Spindle)", e$

if stck_spindle$ = 1, " from Right Spindle)", e$

spaces$ = prv_spaces$

]

Sorry if I misunderstood what you were asking.

cheers.gifcheers.gif

Drag,

I just modified a mplfan post last week for stock puller routine using the area that Ron posted above.

Once you get the op type decision made (in your case push---

if stck_op$ = 0, ppush, e$ "(Push stock -",e$)

you only have to create a postblock called ppush with direct outputs and variable outputs (stck_final etc.) as needed get what you need.

Andy

I do appreciate this. Right now I'm trying to figure out just what code the machine wants.

This si a first journey into this automated bar feed stuff forme. And it's been a hunnert years since I played with making a lathe repeat a program...

I have it doing just about what I want, but now to get it to keep doing it....

We've had our servo 300 running on and off for about a month. What a piece of $hit. It came missing parts, loader motor blew up, always comes out of alignment, bent the 3/8 pushrod, etc. etc. It's been down more than working.

I just program the thing at the control. It's really, really simple that way, and gives your the most flexibility, in my opinion. Page up/down on the current commands page until you get the the bar feeder parameters page. Enter all the info there. At the end of your your program just have G105 M99, and it's all taken care of.

Let me know if you need more help. (running or fixing the thing biggrin.gif )

Hey Chris, I thought you'd learned your lesson with Haas...send that POS back and buy a Servo Quickload from LNS, ours is 6 years old now, runs all day every day, and never needed a part [except for a battery once a year].

Jim,

I'm still running V9 so I don't know if the X-era posts are improved, but they use d to take a lot of customization to make the Misc Ops stuff work correctly. Typically all the barfeed wants to see is: Spindle stop, headstock home [if it moves], chuck open, then an M code for stock advance, dwell a couple seconds to let it do its thing, chuck clamp, and away you go. I have stock push and new bar subs that live in the machine [its an Okuma, so no help from me with the coding] and just call them from the main program at the proper time. The stock advance portion of your program should have a check to make sure you aren't at the end of the bar, otherwise you'll get into trouble when you're ready for a bar change.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

C