Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Best way to finish a frame of a bycicle?

Dennis (Belgium)

master belgium,

i am familiar with bicycle racing and some bicycle mechanics/design. i race road,track and cyclo-cross. could you explain in greater detail just what you exactly need/want to do?

also, what sort of riding do you do? smile.gif

take care,

bob

[ 04-16-2002, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: Bob B ]

Hello cyclists,

I'm a fanatic too. I would suggest finish scallop for this kind of form. Maybe you can try finish contour by adding passes in shallow area with finish shallow for the bottom. Do you for witch brand of bikes it's for? Is it a time trial frame?

Have fun!

By the fact, did you see the Tour of Flanders?

Good Morning

quote:

Now is my question wich is the best way to finish it? The tubes have the form as a raindrop and some of the tubes have the round form..

My 2 cents

Finishing choices in Mastercam will set up the best conditions to polish the surface of the mold by hand. I make my pinch surface cuts really fine so that they need only simichrome polish (paste).I also make them .010 deeper than the parting line.

I make the machining choices at 90 degrees to my polishing preference,because the deeper part of the scallop is accurate to the cad file. Then I finish the parting line again to depth,and give it some more simichrome polish.This is what I do.

If at all possible ask the mold polisher the same question that you asked us.

I am National #189 BMX Cruiser aka( The Hardway)

46-50 National age group #12

The best way for a race frame to finish is in the front.

[ 04-17-2002, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

Hi Bob

quote:

when are you going to get into real cycling???

I really appreciate your invite , because none of the

"real cycling" or road bike guys around here will race me, since you know , ""the incident"".

I will race this Saturday and Sunday In The U.S. National at Tulare Ca. BMX is a contact sport(well- the way I do it), that just happens to be done on a bicycle. Real cycling is not an

option for me but, I hope to give a demonstration of

"real racing"in turn one this Satureday .

=======Sponsors ==========

HARDWAYBMX.COM

Wheelz --------------- Our local bike shop

Sinister forks --------Marzocchi Suspension

Pro Concept----------Frame Sponsor

QuickShade--------- Canopy

If any of you can make to the race, I will have the track officials wave the spectator fee for you.

[ 04-17-2002, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

hey scott,

i know what bmx is all about, i raced for four years back in the early 90's(up to expert class). i then got into mountain biking and road riding. now i race road, track(like you see in the olympics on the banked velodrome), and cyclo-cross. i was just razing you a little about getting into 'real cycling'!,i guess? tongue.gif

the team i currently race for now is out of philadelphia, our sponsors are pretty major too- RC Cola, Diet Rite, Vineland Syrup, Tandems East, NoPuppyMills.com, Cannondale, Cheerleaders Gentleman's Club, G+G Sport(from Italy), Delaware Pug Rescue, and the Chic Petique.

you can check out the website: www.rccolacycling.org

it's still being worked on and should be complete within a few weeks.

good luck at the races this weekend!!

take care,

bob

Thanks Bob

quote:

like you see in the olympics on the banked velodrome)

I have seen the banked oval looking tracks , but only on TV. I would like to try it some day , are there any tracks near me ? I am hoping to make the main this weekend . I will bring home some photo's and put them on HARDWAYBMX.COM .(our sight). I am leaving in the next hour and I will be back on Monday.

scott, yes there are a number of tracks in california-how far they are from chatsworth-? rolleyes.gif

the bikes used are called track bikes. they are a single speed bicycle with no freewheel or brakes! it is very exciting on the track- pretty scary at first. you get used to it though. it's a close, contact, agggresive type of bike racing. the tracks in california are:

San Diego Velodrome - San Diego, California

Encino Velodrome - Encino, Califonia

Hellyer Velodrome - San Jose, California

if you're really interested in track racing, you can check out www.fixedgearfever.com

or www.usacycling.org

they both have quite good info on track racing with the former being solely dedicated to the sport.

take care,

bob

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Man, I WISH I could chime in on this one, but unfortunately I had to sign some papers stating I would not talk about how I did what you are looking to do for a company 5 years. If you don't have a solution by June 1, 2002 let me know and I can talk about it then.

I hope to be racing BMX again soon. To many other things going on right now though unfotunately.

Scott, wassup. E-mail me at work.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Well, as you know, we get about 300+ days of sunshine here so we need something besides polishing up our Woody's and surfboards to do, so BMX was the next logical sport. biggrin.gif I raced when I was a kid and now that have 3 boys that like to ride (when they are not playing Baseball which is the preference right now). Pretty much the heart of BMX is right here (though the East Coasters woudl disagree but lets compare hardware ie. trophies)

Good morning

I have always been a race fan ,but I couldn't afford one of the Nascar trucks. So the next logical step for me was to get of the couch and race BMX.

U S National at Tulare;;;

Round two of two racks of 46-50 cruisers,we went into turn 1 and the bikes were hitting me form everywhere. It sounded like we where being shuffled like a deck of cards. I made the main.

I will ride the Encino Velodrome - Encino, Califonia .do they have an age group for 47 year olds ?

scott, i'm sure they have beginner classes or something available to first timers. they will not just let you go onto the track for the first time without any knowledge of track racing. it would be a danger to others, seriously. track cycling is much like a roller derby but on bicycles. and remember that unlike your freewheeled bmx, a track bike is direct drive- no freewheeling! and also no brakes!! and in addition to that most of us trackies use toe clips and straps(foot is secured to pedal by a clip much like an spd pedal but then we use double toe straps to fasten the shoe as well to have no movement or float)!!!! so if you are going down-you go down with the ship!! i raced saturday for the first race of the year and got taken out in my first event of the day, a 10 lap final. i got pushed into the boards in turn 3-4 and totally hit the outside board with my nuckles(holding my bars) and next thing i remember is standing in the infield, two others fell with me. i slid about 40feet on concrete and have some very bad road rash up my side and on my arms and shoulder. bad scene! i ruined my new team uniform too!!! just because the rider in front came up too high and didn't bother to listen to my "rail" call out!! sorry guys- just venting a little now!! mad.gif

but, getting back to it- yes, scott, i'm sure if you go or call they can tell you what you need or have to do to ride or try it, most tracks have bikes you can use for the beginner instruction classes. and there is an age group for everyone, the masters group is 32(i think)and over. good luck if you do try!

have a good day! biggrin.gif

-bob