Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Change Nc file default folder

Thee Rickster ™

Rick,

The funny thing is some of our seats require the use of Project Manager to accomplish this and some don't. As far as I can tell, they have the same settings. headscratch.gif

For the seats that require the use of Project Manager, I also use my favorite little app, RtvReco (mentioned many times here at the forum), to check the "NC files" box, check the "Apply these settings when adding new machine groups" box, and finally the green checkmark. That makes the entire thing possible by simply using the Alt+M shortcut. RtvReco does the dirty work in about 1/10 of a second. This has to be done for each file.

Thad

Paul,

I tried that....but... once I did what Thad

suggested with file-project manager, it goes to

only the folder that I guided it to.in the project

file manager

When I clear everything in project file manager.

Alas, it does not clear.

When I do what you suggested it sticks

(for a change) but does not work it still

goes to the project file setting even though

i clear all and hit the check mark.?????!!!!!

Big pain it the a$$, i spend more time tring to

get this simple task to execute than

'actual work'.

BTW shutting down MC 10 times to see if that helps

the new settings to stick is a bigger waste of

time.

Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

Rickster,

I was playin' with the project manager after reading Thads reply and thought it was pretty cool.

Thanks Thad.

I then cleared everything and it still posted as when the files were checked. To clear and bring it back to its normal path ...

Go to your toolpath manager and recall your machine and it will post as before.

HTH

Yes, it sure does.

I have a main folder on the sever that hold all my

jobs in it.

This folder contains a folder for each individual

job. Mc is the only software that does not

direct the paths to the folder that the .mcx file

was created in by default.

Most all changes in the control def or system config do not stick. Some do and hurray for that.

I wish, by default it would, 'AT Least', go

directly to the folder the .MCX file is in with

out all the hassles of the new settings not

sticking.

know what I'm saying...?

I have rebooted and shut down mastercam, after

applying the new settings, many times hoping that

they would stick, but they do not.

thanks

Rick

[ 10-17-2007, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Rickster ]

Ashan, from the help file...

quote:

Use the Project Manager to specify the types of files to save in your project folder. (The project folder is the location of the project’s MCX file.) Specifying these file types lets you keep all project files in a single place. Besides your MCX file, Mastercam can store the following types of files in your project folder:

NC program files

NCI files

Tool libraries

Operation libraries

Operation defaults

Power libraries

Material libraries

The Project Manager is off when you have selected no file types in the Project File Manager dialog box and have deselected the Apply these settings when adding new machine groups to this part file option. When Project Manager is off, Mastercam uses the default paths specified in the Files tab of the Machine Group Properties dialog box. To reroute a file type to your project folder, open Project Manager, and select the file type in the Files to add to project folder box. Project File Manager settings remain in effect between parts and sessions.

Today

I thinks I figured out the problem. confused.gif

Like and idiot I take work home. I work on

the file at home and save every 10 min or so.

I open that file, that worked yesterday and now it

does not go to the directory once again here at

work.

MAYBE... it doesn't like me working at home and

therefore i should not, maybe play my guitar

at night instead of work. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

It has to be the issue.

Rock on Guys

quote:

I don't always have to use project manager, but when I do, it works perfectly every time

I am jealous Thad. smile.gif

Maybe I am not doing something right.

The only thing we use the manager for is to output NCI and NC files. All the libraries and defaults are in the original locations so no need.

Our MCX files are on a network drive by programming/customer/part#/rev# and sometimes it directs the posted files fine, but sometimes it doesn't

I have a starter file with everything set up and it seems If I set the project manager before I start adding toolpaths it does not direct it and I have to unselect NCI and NC, apply , then reselect, apply for it to work. Even then it doesn't pick up the current folder occasionally.

headscratch.gif

MLS,

Similarly, we only use the project manager for NC files. We also have all files on a network with a file structure like you've mentioned.

quote:

I have a starter file with everything set up and it seems If I set the project manager before I start adding toolpaths it does not direct it and I have to unselect NCI and NC, apply , then reselect, apply for it to work. Even then it doesn't pick up the current folder occasionally.

When you open your starter file, what path is listed in the top left of the project manager page? That's where you're directing the NCI and NC files to go.

If the file has been saved, (after doing a Save as with your starter file) the path listed there should be where you want it.

Thad

[ 10-19-2007, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Thad ]

Thad,

Yeah I open the Starter file, merge my model and material in then Save it as the part number.

The project manager then shows the correct path with NCI and NC checked.

If I start throwing toolpaths in then try and post out an NCI, it goes back to the default I have set in the config. If I uncheck, apply, recheck, and apply NCI and NC in project manager then it USUALLY works right. It has me baffled.

confused.gif

MLS, I don't use a starter file. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, but it's definately a difference.

You may be better off going into Files in the machine group properties in the ops manager and setting the path there. You'll have to do it for every file but once it's set, it will always go there. At least then, you'll know it's done right the first time, unlike your experience with the project manager.

Thad