Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

dnc program

Candyman

hi ya , does anyone know of a dnc program that can show you a model of ya part and a picture of your cutter machinging your part while your doing a dnc link .. in other words a real time viewing of what your machine is doing on your remote pc screen...

Paul,

The Cimco Edit V4, full-blown, or upgraded OEM version within Mastercam, will backplot the G-code file and can be used as a DNC program. The DNC package from Cimco is the best on the market and their other products are simply outstanding. The Editor is included with the DNC-Max v4 Professional software package. All of Cimco's products are stand-alone, which means you can have the Editor open at the same time the DNC-Max is sending to the machine. They are constantly upgrading for new machine protocols as well. Check out this website for more info. Cimco Integration HTH smile.gifbiggrin.gifsmile.gif

Mike stop kissing peter's but. biggrin.gif

Paul so you want to see the tool on the screen as it makes the parts or do you want to be able to let the folks on the floor see what the code is going to make

By back ploting the Gcode and seeing a model?

[ 04-23-2002, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Mike,

quote:

Do you work for Cimco or something??

Just kidding. Great software!

LOL No I don't work for them, just work for a reseller of their software and am mightily impressed with all their products.

Jay,

quote:

Mike stop kissing peter's but.

When was the last time you kissed a little butt? Maybe it's time for you to experience the pleasure of "brown nosing" those with greater wisdom and knowledge than yourself. biggrin.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif LOL

Paul,

I believe Cimco's DNC Max administrator allows for remote viewing of code and true real-time adjustment of feeds and speeds TO THE CODE during transmission to any machine on the DNC network. Graphic representation of the file would require the use of the Backplot feature in Cimco Edit, where you can not only Backplot forwards, but reverse direction as well as highlight the exact line, in the code, the backplot is showing. I don't know if the DNC transmitted code file can be shown in Cimco Edit and Backplotted, as it's being sent to the machine. That would be something Tech Support at Cimco could answer. HTH

[ 04-24-2002, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Peter Scott, Services 4 Automation ]

This sounds more like a real time machine monitoring issue. I have a "Cyber" link to my Mazak Integrex that is supposed to have this functionallity and also a real time CCD in the machine so I can see it in realtime. Soon I won't have to get out of bed, I can watch what's going on from home! (That's how it was sold anyway...) If it works as stated, I'll keep you posted.

quote:

experience the pleasure of "brown nosing" those with greater wisdom and knowledge than yourself.

Now Peter, you don't think I do that now. biggrin.gif

I do it every day right her on this forum.

You included. wink.gif

All of you have great wisdom. (Now how was that peter?)

Now to the issue I do not know of any of are software’s that will do the remote or should I say simulation in true time as it DNC's to the machine.

But I all so don't know it all.

The closes thing I have seen is what MfgEng had stated.

But this is the actual machine running.

Peter can your guys make an add-on to make this happen. Anthony if you are out there, this is right up the ally for you.

Sounds like a good idea.

JM2C

[ 04-24-2002, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Word of Caution... If you expect a PC to be able to concurrently send Data to a Machine and to have that PC do a simulation (BackPlot) you better get some serious power. The transmission rates and buffers in the CNC control will not allow a true Real Time Offline Backplot.

My experience (Job Shop/Band aid Budget) with a DNC was on a Fanuc15M and a DOS based P150 PC and found that I was Data Starving the Machine (19200 baud). Noah used the same configuration on the Ark and I think the time may have come to revisit the possibility.

Any thoughs Cimco?

[ 04-25-2002, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: MfgEng ]

I really don't catch this.

You want to simulate a nc program while its running. Is that not a little late? You can see on your computer that the NCprogram has an error, and 2 second late you hear a nasty sound from a $100K+ machine. I think verification has to be done before you send the program to the machine.

If you want to monitor the machine while running, place a camera and a mike in the machine and some cam software on your computer (live cam a little different tongue.gif ). Now you can monitor your machine now and then from home while you are waiting for the SMS call from the DNC that tells you that the machine is finished.

But maybe I missed something here.

Claus@cimco

Jay,

quote:

Now Peter, you don't think I do that now. I do it every day right here on this forum.

You included.

All of you have great wisdom. (Now how was that peter?)

ROFLMAO biggrin.gif

Joking aside, I spoke with our Cimco DNC expert in the office here and he informed me that "live monitoring" with Backplot, will be available from Cimco shortly. Claus has an excellent point however. All toolpath verification of the program should be done before sending any code to the machine. I believe the original issue was just to "look in" at what the machine is doing, from a remote location. However, remote monitoring will only show you what the machine SHOULD be doing. Whether it stopped because of a travel limit or is breaking tools due to inadequate roughing is another matter. Claus's suggestion of a PC cam at the machine would be the only way to truly see what is happening real-time. Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps to clear the air of "coolant vapor". biggrin.gif

[ 04-25-2002, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Peter Scott, Services 4 Automation ]

I agree with your thoughts, now that were you should Predator Varify for the prior inspection.

then use a remote camra to see if the machine is still running or to see what stat it is in.

I know with are DNC we can setup to page if the machine stops.

I figure you can to.

So in this thought all is good.

Glad I was able to make you ROFLMAO.

Jay

i just think it would be cool to see an animated picture on your pc screen of your tool machining over your block ... this of course is assuming that all toolpath verification has already taken place BEFORE you start maching so you know the machine in not going to crash...

purely just for good looks really!!

Paul - excellent idea. We had our developers look into this about a year ago. (Not that they don't have enough to do already...) The point that MfgEng and RandyN made about buffering is right on. Any 'real-time' connection between the plot and the CNC would be next to impossible because of the buffering that takes place in the PC, on the serial hardware adapter(s), in the serial hub(s), and inside the CNC control itself. Good question though.

Peter - thanks. You're back at the top of the CIMCO Christmas Card list!

cadcam - a few of our developers were working on a similar project but it has been put on the back-burner for now. However, we do have a few great features for remotely monitoring machine activity. DNC-Max has Web Monitoring standard and an option for Messaging. (Get ready folks, shameless plug coming...)

Web Monitoring allows you to remotely monitor DNC-Max Server activity anywhere in the world, over the Internet, with IE5.0 or greater/Netscape's latest and greatest... Web Monitoring for DNC-Max also supports WAP so if you're away from the shop and from a PC you can check machine and server activity using a digital/cell phone with browser support. The Messaging option enables DNC-Max to email individuals or groups when various events occur such as a transfer completes or a machine errors out.

MichaelReynolds - our developers thank you...

Anthony Graves

CIMCO Integration

quote:

Web Monitoring allows you to remotely monitor DNC-Max Server activity anywhere in the world, over the Internet, with IE5.0 or greater/Netscape's latest and greatest... Web Monitoring for DNC-Max also supports WAP so if you're away from the shop and from a PC you can check machine and server activity using a digital/cell phone with browser support. The Messaging option enables DNC-Max to email individuals or groups when various events occur such as a transfer completes or a machine errors out.

I am with Bullins that is Kewl and a good idea.

quote:

(Get ready folks, shameless plug coming...)

by know means this is what they want to know about.

So Anthony, how is life good I hope?

quote:

Peter - thanks. You're back at the top of the CIMCO Christmas Card list!

Now does this card come with a autographed photo of Anthony in it? biggrin.gif

[ 04-29-2002, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

• 2 weeks later...

We use Qmodem here at our shop run from a 386 desktop mule for our 1985 Mori-Seki. Pure code streams from that thing. Real simple setup. Real cheap too. If you are sure where the tool is going, why would you need to see it 3 times? Want real time toolpath verification? look through the window of the machine. By the time you or the operator catches something, the damage is already done.

For our newer Haas mills we run Cimco edit in dnc mode because we can run MC and send code at the same time. smile.gif