Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids modelling a helix

hansdeberlin

Gentlemen!

I was searching but could not find an answer

I have uploaded to the FTP site under the solids folder Helix_solids.mcx and Helix_solids.jpeg files. Can you Please, give me a detailed instruction how to generate the spiral. Please first look at the helix_solids.jpeg file for info on spiral details.

Thanks for any input!

1)Create Arc (circle) and Extrude solid, major dia like your screw thrd. (solid cylinder).

2)Create Helix, minor radius, pitch, ext. (as per your drawing)

3)Create rectangle pattern you want to cut and attach it to the end of your Helix.

4)Solid sweep, Select your rectangle to sweep or cut, OK, then select sweep path (your Helix), OK. Make sure (cut body) button is selected. Or you can sweep boss.

Not to detailed, hope it helps...

Dan.

Solids modeling won't help much to machine the slot. My preference would be to unroll the slot and use ROLLDIE. If the slot is going to have a follower, it would probably be more accurate to work from the centerline and use the SLOT option in ROLLDIE. That option offsets from the centerline both ways without rotation at each point, so the sides of the slot look parallel to the follower.