Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Design Software

chowquoe^

Solidworks is a great design tool and easy to learn and use. ProE is a great engineering design tool but difficult to learn and sometimes a real headache to use. For daily design activities I would go with Solidworks but if you were designing an F1 engine ProE would run circles around it. ~$5,000 will get you a seat of ProE with solid modeling, assembly, mechanism, and sheet metal design and the equivalent in Solidworks is ~$3500.

I would be leary of Rhino because I do not believe it is parametric, but I could be wrong. Rhino is the best tool for surface creation but once the part is modeled it is difficult to edit. I have never used it but I have worked on projects where it was used.

In these projects the design would be done in ProE to 95% completion and then finished up in Rhino. If adjustments needed to be done after all was said and done the Rhino work generally needed to be redone completely.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

If I had to pick a High End CAD/Assembly Modeler package, would prolly go with CATIA. If a Midrange CAD/Assembly Modeler package would suffice, SolidWorks seems to be the concensus champion and I do know that it is widely taught in Jr. Colleges and Universities. If I needed strictly a Surface Modeler, Rhino from what I've seen has a LOT of power for a small pricetag.

Regardless of if you go High-End or Mid-Range, MAKE SURE IT HAS A HISTORY TREE. Co-Create is not and it's models are GARBAGE to machine from.

JM2C

James,

I am curious about the co-create statement. I have used that since '99 and have yet to have anything that mcam couldn't machine. Most of it depended on the translator that was used. Until recently, it was the SAT that gave me the best results. Now they have a solidworks parasolid translator that seems to be rock solid. The times I have had problems with co-create (Onespace Designer which is now owned by PTC) the solid body had a problem due to design (problem exists between the monitor and keyboard). Garbage in, garbage out, as with most software. I often run into this problem with the files I receive and end up fixing the CAD in OSD. For what its worth, I have also used these files in Cimatron with very few problems.

Btw, I typically use Solidworks, Onespace designer and once in a blue moon, ProE.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...The times I have had problems with co-create (Onespace Designer which is now owned by PTC) the solid body had a problem due to design (problem exists between the monitor and keyboard). Garbage in, garbage out, as with most software.

Yeah as usual, GIGO, but aside from that some of the more complex shapes I dealt with were just horrible. Forget runnig Flowline toolpaths on them. Create edge curves and re-build what you need. I used STEP and SAT for translators and depending on the topology sometimes STEP was btter and others SAT was better. At best the results were inconsistent with Onespace Designer.

JM2C