Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3d, 2d toolpath contour and pocketing

drexen16

i am trying to create a bowl with mastercam out of a piece of wood that is 5x5x2 (width x length x height). and i am having some trouble. i want to have 1/2 inch left on each side of the wood and the bottom. 1/2 flat endmill. i want the bowl to be straight down for the first half inch but then go down another inch. and then i need to pocket out all the area inside of that since a 1/2 in end mill cant go down 1 1/2 inch.

i am using:

mastercam x2

mill level 3

if you need any other info just ask.

sorry, my description was a little off. i want it to be more like a bowl as that the bottom is round.

the reason i dont by a new end mill is because i am trying to use solids for my project in high school and a flat end mill is one of the requirements. thank you for the drawing but i dont know how to get the drawings off of your reply and i want to know how to do it so that i can learn how to use mastercamx2 better.

thanks

are you wanting to make a round bowl?

go into front view and create your geo for half of it, make sure it is a closed chain with the centre say at origin.

Then go to iso view and revolve your chain around the center line, using solids/revolve.

Let me know if you need more assisstance.

actually that is almost exactly what i need except the dimensions might not be correct unless you used the ones i had above. also, i cant tell wether or not there is a half inch cylinder on the top because the side view doesnt show it. when i just read the instructions that lee used i didnt exactly understand them. When he says Geo does he mean just draw a side view using lines or using solids. if he means solids then i dont know how to do that because i dont know how to cut solids in half like that. also, i dont know how to use solids revolve. i am a beginner.

thanks for all your guys' help so far.

quote:

When he says Geo does he mean just draw a side view using lines or using solids.

Draw a 3D wireframe of half your bowl (side view or front view)and revolve about the CL of your bowl to create your solid.

Have you looked at any examples for drawing solids?

Look at the help section examples for solids.

That means Center Line

Yes, BTW it has the 1/2 cylinder before going into the bowl. But only on the Inside Diameter.

It is exactly to your dimensions.

Yes, Lee means to use lines and arcs to draw with. Then use CREATE-SOLID-REVOLVE. You pick the lines and arcs (geo) you want, then when prompted, pick the center line and the solid will make itself from there.