Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Finding midpoint on Fadal

tmachine

I just borrowed a '97 4020 88HS with upgraded software copyright 2002. The machine came with a stack of books, but none of them seems to cover this.

Does anyone use the "5 Find Midpoint" utility? I played with it, but can't figure it out. Could you give me some simple instructions?

I get to this menu option by going "DT enter/ Space (next page) / 3 Utilities"

I am a Fanuc & Mitsubishi guy, so this Fadal is pretty different for me.

Thanks in advance!

I'll try,to make them simple as I can.

After you select utilites ,

select number/locator then enter offset number and edgefinder dia. and rpm

Then select 5 Find Midpoint

Then jog the machine in the direction of the edge you want to pick up once you have found the edge hit manual and it will return you to the midpoint screen then select p for x,y pickup then z pickup or 0 then enter.

Now selest jog again and jog the machine to the other edge once you find it hit manual and it'll return you back to the midpoint screen and select p x,y pickup and same as above for z.

Then select compute and it will give you the midpoint.

And if you select insert it will load that Dim. as your selected X,Y offset.

I hope this helps! cheers.gif

quote:

Do you know of a way to zero out the displays without using setx, sety which changes the home position? It seems like it would be convenient some times.

From MDI, type G92 X0 Y0 or Z0 (or any combination of axes), then ENTER. Now you can jog around. When you exit MDI mode, you'll lose your "zero." You can use the same method to set a value to any axis. For example, "G92 Z3. ENTER."

Thad

If you already have your zero set for X and Y and you want to check your zero position do the following:

1. MDI

2. G0 G90 E1 X0 Y0

3. JOG

4. shift plus spindle start to start spindle

5. pick up your edges

The machine will now be showing absolute positions for E1 so you can check your part from side to side and if your zero is in the center you should get equal values for X and equal values for Y.

HTH,

sorry about the double post

Thanks for all of the tips! I know these are really basic questions for you guys, but I find this Fadal frustrating when I don't know how to do basic stuff. I have an expensive mold on the machine and I am doing a lot of double checking since it is a new machine to me.

Thad,

I tried your G92 method today.

1. MDI

2. G92 X0 Y0

3. new zero was applied

4. exit MDI

5. new zero position still applied

I ended up having to use SETCS then HO to send the machine home and re cold start to get out of G92 mode. Is there another way to set a relative zero on the FATAL. I seem to remember doing it a long time ago on a FADAL far far away.

Thad,

We are using format 2 and we use fixture offsets E1 to E40 instead of set X and Set Y. That must be the difference. I think our machine is a 2002. It serves it's purpose for our light duty work. I would just like an easy way to set a relative position for setup purposes like I can do on our fanuc based Makinos.

Have a good one.