Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X2 MR2 crashing upon opening

wgd

Is anyone else experiencing their mastercam X2 MR2 program crashing upon opening?

It was running fine for one week in beginning of December 2007 the it just refused to open.

I fixed the problem after many hours by a complete unenstall and reinstall.

It has been running perfectly until this morning 21-1-2008 and refuses to open.

I have tried resetting to an earlier date and have run all the mastercam repair programs, with no luck.

The computer is well within the necessary specs, but it is a computer.

Any suggestions please.....,

Daniel

There is a file in your config folder

mdm1120.prm

If it is listed as zero bytes, delete it and restart mastercam.

Also updating to SP1 is supposed to clear this problem from happening again

My computer was doing that as well and found out I was hitting the sleep button on the keyboard before going home. I stopped using the sleep button and it is happy again.

Even with updating with SP1, my system would exit after mastercam but would load back up.

I often get an exception error and Mastercam crashes when opening largeish files. If I open the files unshaded I have no problems. Happened on MR2 and also happens with MR2 SP1? System is Pentium D 3.2ghz, 2gig Ram, NIVIDA Quattro FX 540 video. I'm getting a new box in a few weeks and after browsing the Benchmark thread its going to be Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4gig Ram Quattro FX 1700 video. Any comments much appreciated

My boss is having the same problem. It had worked fine and now it will crash when opening some mcx files. The files are even really small. Me and our other designer can open these files with no issues. We are all running Dell M90 laptops.

We tried the disable hardware acceleration and that made no difference.

Any other ideas?

We are all running X2 MR2 SP1.

Jim

quote:

Does this happen if you disable hardware acceleration in Mastercam's Settings->Configuration Screen?

I tried that at it runs terrible, dynamic rotation is erratic and slow so have changed it back. I often get a white screen when I am opening files. This is usually files that have toolpaths on them. Also when i am writing a toolpath and i change to another task the Mastercam screen will be white when I return to it, and slowly the toolpath generation will reappear. This has always been a problem in version X right from the outset. Does anyone else have these graphics issues with mastercam? As always comments appreciated

cheers.gif

I never had an opportunity to see if it helped the crashing issue because Mastercam was nearly unusable with that setting changed. For me the crashing happens erratically. I can open the file normally on one occasion or it will crash on another. As mentioned above i'm using a NVIDIA Quattro FX540. I realise this card is a entry level card and plan to go to a midrange FX1700 with a new machine we are having built. As always cost is an issue frown.gif

Hi Bruce, I'm glad to see i'm not the only one with the white screen issue. I tried to take a snapshot of the screen in this state and I couldn't get an image. I'm not glad to see you have this issue with a Quadro FX1500 card though frown.gif I was hoping this problem would disappear with a card like that. This most definately is a MC graphics issue.

I'm running nvidia driver 8.4.2.6, which when I set up my sytem 1-1/2 years ago was the recommended driver for optimal Mastercam performance. Not sure if there is an improved driver out there now for my FX1500 card. It seems to work pretty well: no problems with zooming or rotating geometry, however in addition to the occasional white screen problem when doing toolpath calculations, I also sometimes get some pretty bad large planar artifacts when in surface fill mode. Fortunately I do most of my programming in wireframe mode, so it's not an issue. Sometimes it gets pretty bad when working with .stl files, however. It would be great to hear if there is a new driver for these cards that cures that problem!

I'm running Mastercam, Windows XP, Dell M90, nVidia driver 91.36 and I'm not seeing the problem that your are describing. If the crashes go away when you disable OpenGL hardware acceleration inside of Mastercam, then this points the finger of blame at the driver, so therefore you might want to look for a newer or an older driver that is more stable. Obviously disabling the acceleration will cause things in Mastercam to be slower, I just wanted to try to pinpoint the problem of being a Mastercam or graphics driver issue.

Try here

I didn't have any luck... laptops can be a problem.

If it were my computer, I would

1. uninstall my current video drivers

2. uninstall all Mastercam products

3. run a registry cleaner

4. install the most recent graphics drivers

you can find.

5. reinstall Mastercam

If you still use V9 install it first, then

the most recent version on X-X2 that you use.