Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Passing variable to main program

Larry1958

O.K., here is my problem. I have little memory in my controler (Fanuc Professional A) so we use a card for the main program, and use memory to call up the program (M198 p????). I am trying to figure out how I can start the program at certain tool changes. I put a N1 at tool #1, N2 at tool #2, etc, and trying to pass a variable from the memory to the card as to start at certain places in the program. I get an error that I cant use macro in DNC??? Any suggestions???

[ 02-19-2008, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Larry1958 ]

We have a fadal with a 0i control with little memory and for HUGE programs we run it off of the card. I tried to start at an N001, N002 reading from the card and got the same results as you. I do not think it can be done. I tried a few different things and it still tanked. Sorry, maybe someone else out there knows something we don't.

Gerry

I don't think you can do that. What I have done is make each tool a sub program then put a main program on the control to call each sub program off the card. If we were doing mutli-workoffsets then I would just do the same calling the different tools at each different workoffset that way we could start at a workoffset if the tool broke and not have to do a bunch of air cutting.

I could be wrong about sending the information back top card, but just do not think it id possible on a Fanuc control. James where you at?? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

because it is a sub program on the machine. The machine is reading the tool change Macro call. You can call sub program from the card with no problem. You however can not save back to an active program on the card that would corrupt the program. I can not think of any machine that will allow you to save to running program on the control. I know some machines that will allow you to edit a copy of the program, but they are running a control side copy of the program. You can never change a running program and that is what you are after. If this were allowed by a machine then crashes would be common place and machine builders would be liable.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

You can't make a call TO the card while you're IN the card. Your BEST bet would be to have tool changes in your main, then all your program stuff would reside on the card.

Do a search, there's some REAL good info on subprogram creation for your post.

HTH